The Writing Life – Annie Dillard

HOW DID THE BOOK HELP YOU AS A WRITER? WHAT OVERALL ASPECTS OF IT TAUGHT YOU SOMETHING?

This book helped me connect with the pure beauty of the word, and the wonder I felt at the beginning of writing novels when I realized that setting my own vision down could make me feel something so powerful. I just loved the sentiment in this writing guide, which is epitomized by this statement: "The line of words fingers your own heart" (p. 20).

WHAT 2-3 MAJOR LESSONS DID YOU LEARN FROM THE BOOK THAT YOU CAN APPLY TO YOUR WRITING AND/OR YOUR NOVEL?

1. How to use metaphor in writing non-fiction. This style has influenced my writing of a novella I am working on (not as part of this program).

2. "[P]our all you possess" into one "long, ambitious project." (p. 71)

3. "Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now." (p. 78)

WAS THERE ANYTHING IN THE BOOK THAT OBVIOUSLY CONFLICTS WITH LESSONS AND READINGS IN OUR NOVEL WRITING PROGRAM? IF SO, WHAT?

Nothing was inconsistent. I found it a pleasant complement for exploring the feelings associated with writing--not necessarily part of the AS program but yet a matter of significant import in the writer's accomplishment of the work.

Writing the Break-Out Novel – Donald Maass

HOW DID THE BOOK HELP YOU AS A WRITER? WHAT OVERALL ASPECTS OF IT TAUGHT YOU SOMETHING?

This was an excellent book and I would rank it on par with the two books that were previously my favourite guides (one by John Truby and the other by Robert McKee). This was a practical resource, that provided useful step-by-step information.

WHAT 2-3 MAJOR LESSONS DID YOU LEARN FROM THE BOOK THAT YOU CAN APPLY TO YOUR WRITING AND/OR YOUR NOVEL?

1. The extended discussion of "stakes" and how to make readers care about the protagonist was particularly useful as it provided some specific considerations to give effect to the requirements of the AS program.

2. Characterization and Plot -- Again, these sections were very pragmatic and detailed, and much of what was provided could be used in the coursework

3. The specific pointers on how to make a universal theme were helpful to me, and connect well with the module requirements and some of the questions I have been considering.

WAS THERE ANYTHING IN THE BOOK THAT OBVIOUSLY CONFLICTS WITH LESSONS AND READINGS IN OUR NOVEL WRITING PROGRAM? IF SO, WHAT?

No, but this was the one that I found most aligned with the intent of the program. I would recommend this book as the primary required reading for this course, but also to other friends considering writing novels.

The Art of Fiction – John Gardner (Notes on Craft for Young Writers)

This was an interesting insight into another writer's take on the writing life, and that in itself is always instructive. That said, this was not the most useful teaching aid given my needs at this time.

1. The discussion on the importance of reading widely and deeply resonated with me and helps eliminate some guilty feelings I may experience when curling up to read instead of banging away at the novel.

2. The section on technique with examples of various styles was illuminative and is something I may come back to when making strategic choices.

3. Interesting theory and chart on the plotting of associations on p. 193--excellent visual device to explain a concept I am still thinking about how to implement in my own novel from a technical perspective.

Generally, it connected but it was not as targetted to the needs of writers participating in this program. There was some suggestion that there are no rules for writing, and that it is a matter of intuition, which taken at face value could be viewed as conflicting with the structured approach recommended here. But, a more nuanced analysis would suggest that the application of the rules and requirements of Author Salon must be moderated by intuition and personal sensibilities, as well as a good grasp of the core elements that make a pleasing novel for a readership.

TO ADD: Write Away – Elizabeth George

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic