Framed: Mysteries Where the Sleuth is Wrongly Accused

framed-feat.jpg

I often wonder when reading mysteries such as the first of its kind The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins or the groundbreaking Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, what would I do if I was wrongly accused of a crime like certain protagonists in these novels? Would I vigorously proclaim my innocence or would I be so shocked that I’d be incapable of speaking up at all?

Knowing myself and my inability to remain quiet in general never mind while being accused of a heinous crime I didn’t commit, I’m betting on the former. However, I can’t really know, can I? Unless it happens, and I really don’t want it to. Still it fascinates me, wondering how I’d handle such a fraught situation, which leads me to my topic today.

Mystery novels have long captivated readers with their intricate plots, enigmatic characters, and unexpected twists. One subset of the genre that consistently intrigues and engages audiences is the mystery where the protagonist is compelled to solve the crime, because they are the prime suspect.

This unique narrative approach adds an extra layer of complexity and suspense to the story, leaving readers eagerly turning pages to unravel the truth behind the falsely accused investigator. Here are some of my theories as to why these types of mysteries are so compelling.

Empathy and Connection: One of the primary reasons readers are enamored with mysteries featuring wrongly accused main characters is their personal feelings about the protagonist, especially if it’s a long running series. The sleuth, either a sharp and insightful professional or a quirky yet likable amateur, suddenly finds they’re under suspicion of a crime like Agatha Raisin in M.C. Beaton’s Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death. Readers are invested in Raisin’s struggle to remove suspicion from herself, creating an emotional bond that heightens the stakes of the investigation.

Twisted Morality Play: Mysteries often delve into the complexities of human nature, morality, and justice as seen in Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson where the protagonist has no memory of her past and discovers she’s a suspect in a crime she can’t remember. This transforms the narrative into a compelling morality play, especially when she has no idea who she can trust, including herself. Readers are presented with a scenario where right and wrong are blurred, and they are left pondering the ethical dilemmas faced by the falsely accused.

Suspenseful Plot Development: The wrongly accused detective trope injects a healthy dose of suspense into the plot. The more the evidence stacks up against the main character, the more invested the reader becomes. As the reader follows the investigation, they are simultaneously unraveling two mysteries—the original crime and the detective’s predicament. The dual narrative creates a dynamic storytelling experience, keeping readers guessing as they eagerly anticipate the resolution of both mysteries as in Lincoln Rhyme’s quest to prove his innocence and find the real killer in The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver.

Unpredictability and Surprise: The essence of a good mystery lies in its ability to surprise and confound readers. When the detective is wrongly accused, it subverts expectations and challenges conventional storytelling norms. Kinsey Millhone in Sue Grafton’s H Is for Homicide has to use her private investigator skills to get out of jail by working a fraud case for the local police. Readers are compelled to work alongside her as she infiltrates a crime ring, trying to discover the real culprit among a cast of sketchy characters. The unpredictable nature of having a main character barter for their freedom keeps readers engaged and invested in the story until the very end.

Character Development: The wrongly accused protagonist trope offers an excellent opportunity for character development. Readers witness the investigator facing adversity—do they protest their innocence or make a run for it and why? Following the main character as they navigate personal and professional challenges draws the reader deeply into their world. Rusty Sabich in Scott Turow’s Presumed Innocent is a perfect example of how character growth adds richness to the story, transforming the protagonist into a multidimensional and flawed figure that the reader can’t help but root for.

Mysteries where the detective is wrongly accused provide a captivating and immersive reading experience. How could a reader not be invested in Travis McGee’s need to prove his innocence when he’s wrongly arrested in John D. MacDonald’s The Long Lavender Look? The emotional connection with the protagonist, the exploration of morality, the suspenseful plot development, the element of surprise, and the opportunity for character growth collectively contribute to the enduring appeal of this subgenre. As readers immerse themselves in these enigmatic tales, they are not only solving crimes but also embarking on a thrilling journey of self-discovery and moral introspection.

Also, these novels give a me a wide variety of scenarios to ponder when I wonder what would I do if I was wrongly accused of a crime I didn’t commit? What would you do?

Fatal-First-Edition-191x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES