Cozy Sleuths with Moxie: An Appreciation and Reading List

cat-sass-cozy-feat.jpeg

From the beginning of my writing journey in 2000, I have always written sleuths with moxie and plenty of spunk. As Misty Simon I started with Ivy Morris, who was working hard to not be a door mat. Then I moved on to Mel Hargrove, who was corralling a junkyard full of ghosts while making sense of her life. Next came my big break at Kensington with Tallie Graver, who was looking for a second chance while making amends for her past. Moving back into paranormal, I wrote The Magically Suspicious Mysteries, where we ride along with Verla Faeth and her friends at a Renn Faire. Now, as Gabby Allan, I’m writing Whitney Dagner, who is finally where she belongs, solving nautically themed mysteries with her cats Whit and Whiskers. All my girls are fighting every day to not only figure out life in the present, but also deal with the past—plus, they’re solving murders and mysteries, navigating relationships, and making you snicker all the while.

My first introduction to reading these types of mysteries came from devouring Bubbles Yablonsky’s adventures as a talented hairdresser and plucky sleuth by Sarah Strohmeyer. I was caught off guard by her character’s antics, and so involved in the mystery that I forgot I should probably eat dinner.

Characters and authors who can do that for me are my go-to escape. I adore being caught up in a good story as the sleuths muddle their way through obstacles, clues, questions, red herrings, misdirects, and the usual suspects. Life is rarely without issues, but these wonderful people are doing their best to navigate their current circumstances, all while chasing murderers, righting wrongs, and fighting for justice.

To give you a taste of what you’ve possibly been missing out there in the wide world of cozy mysteries, I present to you my list of authors who are doing it in spades…

Oh, and if you need a pass to be able to read whenever you want without guilt, I also have a Reading Pass (much like the old hall passes from back in the day) as a get out of jail free card. ENJOY!

Flared-Stiff-188x300.jpg

Flared Stiff by Julie Anne Lindsey

First up is Julia Anne Lindsey’s Bonnie and Clyde series. The laughs, the hijinks, the relationships, and solved murders. It’s all a recipe for me to be pulled right into this series and away from anything I’m actually supposed to be doing. I love the setting, the charm, and the way that the author gives us such an enchanting view into the living room of Bonnie and her cat Clyde that I want to go see if she’s available for a quick dinner! After she finds the killer, of course.

Crouching-Buzzard-Leaping-Loon-188x300.j

Donna Andrews, Crouching Lizard Leaping Loon

Donna Andrews is next with her delightful Meg Langslow Mysteries. Crouching Lizard Leaping Loon was the first book I read in this series and then I had to go back and start from the beginning and wait (im)patiently between each release for the next one. I love the way Meg handles things and how she puts the pieces together. I often finish the books in this series and think “I could have figured it out if I hadn’t been snickering so much!”

When-She-Gets-Hot-188x300.jpeg

Miriam Allenson, When She Gets Hot

I mean, who doesn’t love a book with the tagline: When she gets pushed too far, even her hot flashes won’t hold her back. If you like women of a certain age, you will be highly entertained by Tootsie and her entourage as they get into some of the hottest water and most hilarious situations in cozy fiction.

A-Dress-to-Die-For-188x300.jpg

Kimberley O’Malley, A Dress to Die For

A Dress to Die For by Kimberley O’Malley features Addie, one of my favorite characters. Gutsy and a go-getter, she gets the job done, even when the going is seriously rough. I love the premise and the pets in this one as much as I love Addie. Make sure you’re prepared to not be able to put it down as we race to a satisfying conclusion that I did not see coming (perhaps because I was laughing too much).

Mimi-Lee-Cracks-the-Code-200x300.jpeg

Jennifer J. Chow, Mimi Lee Cracks the Code

Last, but certainly not least, I can’t have a list of sass and spunk without mentioning a cat with both! Jennifer J. Chow’s Mimi Lee Cracks the Code: A Sassy Cat Mystery is not only highly entertaining, it also takes place on Catalina Island where my very own Whit and Whiskers live. I wonder what they’d do if they met each other? I laughed and then I sighed and then I laughed some more at this book. It’s a delightful tale with twists and turns that I absolutely loved. And that cat is quite the character!

All-That-Glitters-Isnt-Gold-200x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES