10 Crime Movies Set at New Year’s Eve

dick-tracy-warren-beattys-mercurial-mast

You might remember our series “10 Crime Movies You Forgot Take Place During Christmas.” We have six installments: one from 2018, one from 2019, one from 2020, one from 2021, one from 2022, and one from 2023. We also a list of the ten MOST obvious crime movies set at Christmas. But you know what we don’t have? A list of crime movies set around New Year’s Eve. Until now, that is.

A “Christmas movie” is different than “a movie set at Christmas.” But is a “New Year’s Eve movie?” the same thing as a “a movie set at New Year’s?” Truthfully, I have no idea. But we’re going to figure it out together.

This is not a comprehensive list. Realistically, there will be sequels.

Let the countdown begin. (Although… this list is not ranked, so not really.)

afterthethinman1936.2755-300x195.jpg

After The Thin Man (1936)

After the Thin Man is (as you might expect) the sequel to The Thin Man, but it takes place literally right after. The Thin Man takes place over Christmas, After the Thin Man takes place at New Year’s. Pour yourself some champagne and hit play!

Screen-Shot-2023-12-23-at-10.05.25-AM-30

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

One of the greatest, creepiest scenes in all of cinema is Norma Desmond’s New Year’s Eve party, at which she tells Joe that she loves him. Things don’t go so well after that!

godfather-2-300x169.jpg

The Godfather Part II (1974)

The first Godfather movie is a Christmas movie (kind of), but the second Godfather movie is a NYE movie (also kind of). At the big New Year’s Party, Michael Corleone comes up to Fredo, hugs him, kisses him on the lips, and says “I know it was you, Fredo. you broke my heart. You broke my heart.” So, the most important scene.

Screen-Shot-2023-12-23-at-10.16.45-AM-30

Money Train (1995)

Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes play former foster brothers-turned-transit cops in this action comedy who wind up embroiled in a plan to steal from the MTA on New Year’s Eve? How? They’re going to rob the money train (a train car that collects and carries subway fares from station to station). J-Lo and Chris Cooper are in this movie also, which is how you know this was made in the 90s.

Screen-Shot-2023-12-23-at-10.07.01-AM-30

Ocean’s 11 (1960)

Yes, the original Oceans 11 is about a New Year’s Eve heist! You have to hand it to the Rat Pack for even having energy enough to pull of a heist on NYE; I barely have enough energy to stay awake until midnight.

walksoftlystranger1950.2857-300x195.jpg

Walk Softly, Stranger (1950)

Do you love Joseph Cotten and Alida Valli in the classic noir The Third Man? Well, do I have a movie for you! Joseph Cotten plays a small-time criminal who arrives in a midwestern town where he falls in love with a paralyzed shoe factory heiress… but this doesn’t stop him from traveling to other cities to pull off heists. An insane movie. Insane.

6669e-300x152.jpg

Repeat Performance (1947)

If you only watch one movie on this list, let it be Repeat Performance, one of most interesting, ahead-of-its time movies made in the Golden Age of Hollywood. And I still don’t know exactly what a “New Year’s Eve movie” is but this is definitely one if there is any.  The movie opens on New Year’s Eve 1946, with an actress having killed her husband. But she wishes she could do the whole year over again… and gets that chance.

MV5BMTM5OTUzNjU1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ1

Fruitvale Station (2013)

Ryan Coogler’s feature debut Fruitvale Station is about the real-life death of Oscar Grant, a young man shot and killed by Bay Area Rapid Transit officers in Oakland in on New Year’s Eve, 2008.

maxresdefault-300x169.jpg

Dick Tracy (1990)

You remember the scene, when Al Pacino’s New Year’s Eve party is interrupted by cops with machine guns. “Police brutality, boys.”

lookingformrgoodbar-1600x900-c-default-3

Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977)

Truthfully, I wouldn’t watch this one if you’re hoping to start the New Year off HAPPY.

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES