Will Dean’s Top 10 Locked-Room Thrillers

gate1-feat.jpg

Note: I’ve expanded the definition of ‘locked-room’ to include closed-set. 

And-Then-There-Were-None-186x300.jpg

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie – The original. Ten strangers receive invitations to a solitary mansion on a windswept island off the British coast. Then they begin to die off, one by one.

woman in cabin 10

THE WOMAN IN CABIN TEN by Ruth Ware – An excellent locked-room mystery set on a luxurious yacht. Lo Blacklock, a journalist working for a travel magazine, spends a week aboard. She sees a woman thrown overboard, yet all the passengers are accounted for? Dark and exquisitely tense.

Misery

MISERY by Stephen King – A locked room, literally. I saw the film before I read the book. Both are superb. Writer Paul Sheldon (author of the Misery Chastain novels) crashes his car during a blizzard. Annie Wilkes, a nurse who seemingly misunderstands the Hippocratic Oath, takes him home to look after him. What follows is legendary and it is incredibly claustrophobic. 

Shari Lapena An Unwanted Guest

AN UNWANTED GUEST by Shari Lapena – I love the Catskills setting of this thriller. Living in rural Sweden, in an isolated forest, I felt every page of this. The storm in the novel cuts off Wi-Fi and phone signals, as well as electricity. Then the unthinkable happens. In moments like this, when there is no outside help, you get to know the characters very well and very fast.

The-Locked-Room-198x300.jpeg

THE LOCKED ROOM by Elly Griffiths – A book in the fantastic Ruth Galloway series, the locked room element of this book comes by way of the pandemic lockdowns of 2020. Ruth and Nelson investigate a series of murder-suicides connected to a fascinating archaeological find. 

Hostage-Mackintosh-195x300.jpg

HOSTAGE by Clare Mackintosh – If you want unbearable tension in a thriller, find one set on a plane up in the air. This exhilarating novel is not only a locked-in suspense novel set on the first non-stop flight from London to Sydney, it’s also a ‘what would you do?’ story to test yourself.

In-the-Morning-Ill-Be-Gone-200x300.jpg

IN THE MORNING I’LL BE GONE by Adrian McKinty – If you haven’t read the Sean Duffy books yet… why not? One of my favourite series, these detective novels have it all: atmospheric tension (they are set in Belfast during The Troubles), humour, warmth, and superb writing. 

snowblind-200x300.jpg

SNOW BLIND by Ragnar Jonasson – An isolated fishing village in northern Iceland, a rookie policeman out of his depth, and a series of heinous crimes in the snowy fjords. Chilling and eerie.

dangerous-crossing-199x300.jpg

A DANGEROUS CROSSING by Rachel Rhys – A sumptuous thriller set in 1939 aboard a luxury liner. This is a character-driven novel packed full of intrigue, secrets, and enticing locations. 

x400-1-201x300.jpg

SHUTTER ISLAND by Dennis Lehane – I am a passionate fan of Lehane’s work. Shutter Island is famous for its twist (which is flawless) but it stands up well to re-reading. The gothic atmosphere (excellent storms), and isolated island combine to set the perfect stage for this gripping story. 

The-Last-One-cover-193x300.jpg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES