The Best New Crime Shows to Watch This Month

true-story-feat1.jpg

I know the trades keep telling us the strike situation isn’t going to be truly felt by viewers for several months still, but if June is any indication of what the streamers have in their stockpiles, the future is bleak. Most months, we’re looking at at least five or six crime shows worth your time. This month, honestly, it just isn’t going to happen. Maybe we’re entering into the post-Succession, post-Barry, early summer lull. Anyway, the news isn’t all bad, at least for those Kelly Cuoco / Chris Messina / true crime culture fans out there.

(And a note: I strongly support the WGA strike and hope a fair contract is delivered soon.) 

Based on a True Story
(Peacock – Premieres June 8th)

This new comedy thriller looks promising, especially with a cast featuring Kelly Cuoco and Chris Messina. A true crime obsessed group with money problems gets on the trail of a local serial killer, or so they think; they soon decide to make a podcast out of the investigation. That’s pretty familiar terrain these days, but the tone here looks light on its feet, so it should be well worth a try, if you have access to it.

Hijack
(Apple TV+ – Premieres June 28th)

If I’m being honest, I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed watching or reading a hijack thriller. It’s just not my cup of tea. But of course there’s quality within that category, and the fact that Idris Elba stars in this British production coming Stateside via Apple TV suggests that this may well be a cut above. In any case, it’ll give you an excuse to watch Elba do his leading man thing in a pressure cooker environment for some number of hours, so if that sounds appealing, enjoy!

Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan
(Amazon Prime – Season 4 Premieres June 30th)

You may not have checked in on this series in awhile, but just a reminder that it’s actually, maybe surprisingly, pretty good. A few too many explosions? Sure. But John Krasinski and Wendell Pierce are having a lot of fun in their respective roles, saving the world time and again, sometimes together, sometimes going cat and mouse. The fourth season would appear to be the last hurrah for this iteration of Jack Ryan, so come and savor the Krasinski/Pierce chemistry while it’s still on offer.

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES