Hard-hitting Thrillers: Mysteries and Emotional Revelation

exploding-heads-feat.jpg

In my upcoming young adult thriller, I Will Find You Again, Chase Ohara grieves the loss of her ex-girlfriend, Lia, and makes it her mission to find out what happened in the final weeks before her death. But as she begins to put the pieces together, she discovers secrets about her own relationship with Lia that shock her. Not everything was as it seemed, and not everyone is who they appear to be. But one thing is certain: if Chase can’t make sense of the past, she might not get a future.

I love the idea of the thriller as a metaphor for the unknown within ourselves, and the outward mystery in Chase’s story ultimately leads to a confrontation of the dark truths lurking within her. Though thrillers are known for their plot twists and revelations, the best go deep emotionally, giving weight to surprising turns and taking a character through the journey they may not have wanted but desperately needed. Here are some of my recent favorites and one upcoming release I’m looking forward to reading:

Ace-of-Spades-198x300.jpeg

Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé

Senior year seems to be off to a great start for Chiamaka Adebayo and Devon Richards when they’re both selected as class prefects at Niveus Private Academy. But when an anonymous figure known only as Aces begins to target them via school-wide text messages to reveal their secrets, their lives are turned upside down. With their future on the line, can they uncover who the sinister Aces is and outsmart their tormentor?

honeys-200x300.jpg

The Honeys by Ryan La Sala

In the days after his twin sister’s horrific and violent death, Mars finds himself back at Aspen Conservancy, the prestigious summer academy where she’d spent her last weeks, in search of answers. There, he befriends the Honeys, a group of girls connected to the apiary and his sister’s closest friends. They embrace him, sharing in his grief and helping him heal, but they’re hiding something too. As people begin to disappear, Mars will have to uncover the truth about Aspen—and his family’s connection to the institution—if he hopes to understand what happened to his sister and avoid her fate.

Family-of-Liars-198x300.jpeg

Family of Liars by E. Lockhart

A prequel to We Were Liars, this follow-up explores the past generational trauma of the Sinclair family and the darkness carefully buried underneath their perfect smiles and beautiful homes. Returning to another sun-soaked summer on the family’s private island, the novel follows Carrie as she grapples with her place within the family and what it costs to not only be a Sinclair but stay one.

A-Line-in-the-Dark-200x300.jpeg

A Line in the Dark by Malinda Lo

Jess is in love with her best friend Angie, but Angie likes Margot, a rich girl at a fancy prep school. And then, after a party one night, someone goes missing, later turning up dead. In the ensuing investigation, everyone is questioned but the fractured stories don’t add up. A fascinating examination of jealousy and loyalty, this book will stun with its epilogue twist.

Girls-Ive-Been-199x300.jpeg

The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe

Nora has been a lot of girls as her con-artist mother’s young protégé. But in the five years since her escape from the family grift, she’s been playing at normal. That is, she was playing at normal until she, her girlfriend, and her best friend become hostages at a bank robbery. Though she’s buried all the girls she’s been, she’ll need her past and everything it’s taught her to survive.

Sadie-193x300.jpg 

Sadie by Courtney Summers

As hard-hitting as they come, this novel will have readers questioning their faith in humanity, breaking hearts before taping the pieces back together. A story about a sister’s devotion and love—and how far that kind of love can take us, even if it costs us everything.

Restless-Dark-199x300.jpeg

The Restless Dark by Erica Waters

Lucy just wants to stop being afraid. After a close encounter with a serial killer, she’s back at Cloudkiss Canyon, the killing ground she almost met her end to confront her fears once and for all. But the canyon—and malevolent fog that engulfs it—isn’t ready to release its grip on her. Can she let go of the past or will she let it consume her?

She-Is-a-Haunting-199x300.png

She is a Haunting by Trang Thanh Tran

One of my most anticipated reads of 2023, this debut sees Jade visiting her father in Vietnam, pretending to be straight enough, Vietnamese enough, American enough to secure the college funds he promised. But the French colonial house they’re playing happy family in has other plans. Jade must confront the generational trauma and the ghosts of colonialism that still haunt her family if she has any hope of saving them all.

I-Will-Find-You-Again-Cover-198x300.jpg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES