The Sisterhood of Serial Death

women-killers-feat1.jpg

While many readers and writers of crime novels are female, fewer fictional murderers are. As women, we have come to see ourselves reflected most often in the victims, increasingly in the sleuths, but rarely as perpetrators. While plenty of women do kill within the pages of novels, these are often one-time acts with a single victim – a crime of passion, an act of protection or self-defense, but rarer is the woman who makes murder her life’s purpose. 

Until recently.

When I set out to write the first Pies Before Guys book, I knew I was facing an uphill battle in making my serial killer kitchen witch someone readers wanted to spend time with – but I also knew it could be done. It helped to know upfront that the curse of the unlikeable female character is unfortunately real – as a society, we tend to give more leniency to our morally grey male characters than their female counterparts. Hannibal Lecter and Dexter Morgan certainly never had to worry about their likeability and scores of true crime fans have proven that even the most notorious real-life killers can become beloved ‘characters’ if their documentaries cast suitably attractive actors to portray them. (A topic for a different article!) While some fictional female killers are perfectly content to wear the unlikeable mantle (looking at you, Gone Girl!), that wasn’t what I had in mind for Daisy. I wanted to create someone who could be sweet and deadly, all at once. Someone who did bad things for good reasons. Someone readers could relate to, if not fully endorse. While her methods may be unique, her ethos isn’t and my murder girl was able to land in good company thanks to the spate of truly fatal femme fatales who have recently graced the shelves. 

220px-Codename_Villanelle_book_cover-195

Villanelle 

Codename Villanelle – Luke Jennings 

There is simply no way to begin this list without mentioning everyone’s favorite psychopath. First appearing in 2017’s Codename Villanelle, this globe-trotting assassin won hearts the world over. While the books read a bit like gender-swapped James Bond, the character absolutely blossoms under Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s and the rest of the BBC writing staff’s careful attention. Still, we must thank Jennings for bringing Villanelle into this world and also giving her the ending she so clearly deserved.

They-Never-Learn-198x300.jpg

Scarlett

They Never Learn – Layne Fargo

Scarlett, is, without question, the #MeToo hero the world needs. Limiting herself to one kill a year, this deadly vigilante goes after the academia’s worst sexual predators. With an opening chapter that reads almost like an AU version of Magic, Lies, and Deadly Pies, Scarlett is very much the darker side of Daisy’s feminist revenge coin. Of all the books on this list, this is the one I most want to see get a film or TV adaptation.

my-sister-the-serial-killer-187x300.jpeg

Ayoola

My Sister the Serial Killer – Oyinkan Braithwaite

Even people who don’t seek out serial killer protagonists have heard of this one – and with good reason. Ayoola burst onto the scene in 2018 with a darkly funny penchant for killing her boyfriends. (And really, who hasn’t felt that urge at least once in a relationship?) Luckily, she has big sister looking out for her, because Ayoola cares less about cleanup than killing. Blood may be thicker than water, but these two really put it to the test!

my-lovely-wife-199x300.jpeg

Millicent

My Lovely Wife – Samantha Downing

Wife. Mother. Murderer. Millicent is proving that modern women really can have it all.  She’s a successful real estate agent, prepares organic meals for her two kids, and spends plenty of quality time with her husband – killing women. She even dabbles on her own sometimes and while her choice of victims isn’t guided by any sort of moral code, her commitment to her crime certainly earns her a spot in the Sisterhood of Serial Killers. 

an-elderly-lady-is-up-to-no-good-200x300

Maud

An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good – Helene Turston

Age is nothing but a number and no one reminds readers of that the way Maud does. This cantankerous octogenarian serial killer simply can’t help herself – the world is full of people who need a good killing and she’s the one to do it. Told through a series of connected short stories, this glimpse into Maud’s murdery life is an absolute delight and the sequel is every bit as entertaining.

Killers-of-a-Certain-Age-200x300.jpeg

Billie, Helen, Natalie, & Mary Alice

Killers of a Certain Age – Deanna Raybourn

After a lifetime of killing, you would think an elite group of 60-year-old assassins have earned their retirement, but when someone tries to make that a little too permanent, they have to rely on all their old tricks to survive. Rollicking and relentlessly fun, this quartet (especially Billie!) is the very definition of the kind of middle-aged lady you want to be when you grow up.

heartsick.jpeg

Gretchen

Heartsick – Chelsea Cain 

The oldest on the list by a solid decade, Gretchen Lowell was introduced in 2007’s Heartsick, the first title in the Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell series. Gretchen, dubbed by the press as The Beauty Killer, is as close to Hannibal Lecter as this list sees. After kidnapping and torturing Detective Archie Sheridan, she inexplicably lets him go and turns herself in, kicking off a multi-book game of cat-and-mouse. 

how-to-kill-men-book-196x300.jpeg

Kitty

How to Kill Men and Get Away With It – Katy Brent

Kitty may look like any other social media influencer, but when she’s not posting selfies, she’s stalking despicable men – and killing them. For fun. Equal parts vapid and violent, Kitty is a delightful serial killer for a new generation.  

good-day-to-pie-196x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES