5 Female Demagogues of Horror

gorgon-feat.jpg

Once again, October brings more terrifying thrills to stamp its authority as the undisputable king-month of horror! Halloween rolls in with its creepy wagon of chills and treats. And in the spirit of the season, I invite you to dive into this fully stacked terror-wagon and see which diabolical merchandise takes your fancy.

But just in case you’re confused from the plethora of deliciously horrible stuff piled inside our terror-wagon, allow me to guide you to my top 5 Halloween reads, written by five female horror-demagogues, whose works will trick, treat, terrify, traumatise, and most definitely thrill you. None of the old brigade here—Shirley Jackson, Mary Shelley, Susan Hill, etc. There are now even more exciting voices in the genre, and I invite you to explore these dames of horror with me.

Ghist-Summer-200x300.jpg

TANANARIVE DUE: “Ghost Summer: Stories” (Sept. 2015)

From the USA, I present Ghost Summer: Stories, a collection of horror stories featuring fourteen short stories and the novella, Ghost Summer, from which the book gets its title. The work showcases Due’s undisputable skill as a master storyteller. Due also makes little intimate notes after each story which the reader will find just as engaging. The stories are creepy, and the horror subtle, yet powerful. Stories like The Knowing, (dealing with a woman who knows when everybody she meets is going to die, including her own son) and Ghost Summer, (featuring a town where the children are the only ones to see the ghosts dwelling in their midst) are my personal favourites. The themes of racial injustices, as well as historical events, come together to make this book a must-read for every horror fan this Halloween. Another hit by this fiercely unconventional American horror writer.

Queen-of-the-Cicadas-192x300.jpeg

V. CASTRO: “Queen of the Cicadas” (June 2021)

I always refer to V. Castro as “The Queen of Latin American Horror”. A Mexican-American writer from Texas, V. Castro writes Latin American horror with an authenticity that is mesmerising and gripping. Queen of the Cicadas explores Mexican folklore and myths, and is themed around supernatural vengeance. When Belinda Alvarez returns to Texas for her best friend’s wedding, little does she know that she’ll find herself gripped in the thrall of an urban legend surrounding the vile murder of a poor, immigrant farmworker, Milagros. The story is divided into two timelines, with one timeline focusing on Belinda, while the other follows the tragedy of Milagros in the 1950s.  Like Tananarive Due, V. Castro weaves in some historical facts into her horror narrative, especially the plight of migrant workers brought into America through the “Bracero Program” of 1942. Readers will find this book fascinating and haunting. Beware the wrath of Mictecacíhuatl, the Aztec goddess of death!

revenge-203x300.jpg 

YOKO OGAWA: “Revenge” (English reprint, Jan 2013)

From Japan comes “Revenge”, one of my favourite reads by the amazing horror writer, Yoko Ogawa. Revenge is a collection of creepy short stories, all linked to each other. Death, mourning, and dying are all themes that run throughout this haunting and eery collection. There’s a sinister undercurrent that will keep the reader hooked to the very end. Killers and their lovers, as well as other intriguing characters, all come together in this macabre collection to give you a Halloween treat you won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

Ivorys-Story-212x300.jpg

EUGEN BACON: “Ivory’s Story” (Dec. 2020)

From Australia, I bring you the book by the amazing African-Australian writer, Eugen Bacon. Ivory’s Story is a masterclass in folk-fantasy and horror. It features cursed twins, powerful medicine-men and women, a demon entity murdering twins across galaxies, and a determined detective armed with a powerful, charmed amulet, hunting the supernatural killer across mystical landscapes and worlds. This book is spiritual and haunting, and the writing is gritty, yet, elegant, lyrical, and gripping. Welcome to the creepy and unforgettable world of Eugen Bacon!

the-hole-200x300.jpeg

HYE-YOUNG PYUN: “The Hole” (Aug. 2017)

From South Korea comes my final treat from our Halloween terror-wagon, The Hole, described by Time Magazine as “A Korean take on Misery”. Hye-Young Pyun brings the special brand of terrifying Korean horror readers around the globe have now come to appreciate and anticipate with delicious goosebumps. It is a claustrophobic and chilling story about a man who wakes up from a coma paralysed and disfigured, after causing an accident that killed his wife. Now, he has to deal with his mother-in-law, who is his only carer, a grieving mother struggling with the death of her only child. A translated work from the original Korean version, The Hole delivers a psychological and emotional punch to the very end.

Cover-A-DANCE-FOR-THE-DEAD-185x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES