SHADOW OF HOPE, Molly Smith - Young Adult Fiction

Here are my first pages. This introduces the Antagonist (Mahan), the Protagonist (Kalista) through the eyes of a main character (Raine). The story is told from the POV of three characters, mainly Kalista, but opening with a scene from Raine's POV appropriately introduces the antagonist and helps us realize some vital things about Raine as we go on. The second chapter, from Kalista's POV, could be the first chapter arguably, and has more dialogue and the main setting of Harbor's End. This really seemed to be the best place to start the story, but I'm including the second chapter after this one to show how I wrote from each POV, and to get more with the protagonist.  I hope that's not too much! Thank you so, so much for reading and for any feedback. I'm hungry for it!

Chapter One- Raine

This had to be heaven. It had to be. Either that, or where I had come from was a dark corner of hell. Peace draped over me like a warm blanket, and its comfort was a shock to my system. I had never felt this before. I watched the boat inch away from the shore and locked on Bridley’s cool stare. He was leaving me to my fate, and the sinister smile on his face said he wouldn’t mind whatever the outcome. When I’d stepped into the boat, I felt he was taking me to my death, but now that I was here, all the fear was gone. 

I’ve chosen you, Raine, Lord Mahan had said. Everyone can see you’re ready. I have high hopes for you. 

Chosen. A curse. Not something I ever would have asked for, or wanted in a million years. But Mahan had been building a hoard of assassins since he took power on Glasser Island, and he had noticed me early. I was strong and fast for my age, and I had shown it off, running around the orphanage and climbing high in the trees. Had I known it would have gotten me a ticket to this moment, I would never have run a step in my life. 

Mahan first spotted me as I raced with the other children in the field behind the Butcher’s shop. When I noticed him staring, I knew. My blood turned cold as he lifted one of his long white fingers, motioning me to him. From that day on, I trained with the rest of the hoard. They trained me to be silent. To be invisible. To find those who hid in the darkest corners and to dispose of them. He turned me into something I never wanted to be, but if I wanted to live, I had no choice. 

Now, as I stood on the beach and watched the boat inch away, I thought about the days ahead. My final test. Mahan had sent me to an unfamiliar shore with two orders. I was to find my way back to Glasser Island and kill anyone I came across along the way. At the end of this week, there were three possible outcomes. One, I would find a way back to Glasser Island and become an official assassin. One of Mahan’s dispensible lackeys, who he’d end up sending to kill whatever enemies he saw fit. Two, the Shadow would kill me. He’d come for me if I failed to return and take me out, because there could be no weak links in the chain. The third option seemed impossible. The third option was what I feared the most. If the Shadow came after me and I somehow manged to defeat him. I shivered at the thought. To take down the Shadow was to become the Shadow. To submit to a life of death. Death and darkness. The top assassin, feared by all in such a way left him isolated. The Shadow had no one, besides Mahan, of course. Mahan had him on a short leash. 

I turned around to survey the beach. The beach itself was ordinary enough. A long stretch of rock and sand that lined the shore, and beyond it, a forest of oak trees. I was completely alone. I knew the trick to getting back alive didn’t involve swimming twenty miles back to Glasser Island, but what it involved was a mystery so far. I turned my face up to the sun, relishing in the warm rays, and took off my cloak. I had only seen the sun through thin breaks in the clouds on Glasser Island before today, and its light was invigorating. I didn’t know the world could be so bright, didn’t realize how unnatural my world was. 

It had to be the rogue spirits that brought the darkness there. The butcher’s wife said it wasn’t always the lifeless island it was now. When she was a girl, she grew up with the sun and stars, but when Mahan took over, everything changed. The people couldn’t hear what I heard, and no matter how many times I wished for ignorance, I could hear the rogue spirits around me. I heard their lies. I heard the foul whispers and felt their breath on my neck. They followed Mahan around like he was their savior, and I supposed he was. Somehow, he allowed them on the island, and their tormenting words left the people darker and more fearful every day. Still, they didn’t seem to break through my walls like they did the others. My guarded spirit gave me the invaluable advantage of a clear head, and for that, I was thankful. 

My cloak dropped to the sand, and I listened. There were no rogue spirits here. All I saw and felt was good, and I took a deep breath and let myself enjoy the moment. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d done that. Enjoyed something. The thought made me smile. I had all week here, and I was going to drag it out. There was no point in returning after the first day. I was going to spend as much time on this beach as I could. 

I explored first. Found fresh water in the forest beyond the beach and gathered wood. I found a blackberry bush and even managed to catch a fish, and the first night, I ate like a king by the fire. The sky was more spectacular than I’d dreamed, and as I gazed at the stars, I had the feeling of being home. Safe. Secure for the first time. I had never known my parents. No one knew anything about them. I didn’t even know my birthday, but the butcher’s wife told me I was about 13 years old. We couldn’t be exactly sure. This place made all the uncertain feelings I’d held onto my entire life float off. I closed my eyes and could almost feel the light from the stars on my skin. I could feel warmth and goodness shining down from them, and I let the feeling wrap around my heart. That first night, I slept little. I relished in the peace I felt until the moon was well overhead. It was the best night of my life. 

For the next two days, I searched for clues. I wondered if I should make a raft, but that didn’t appear to be possible. I had no way to cut the wood, and I’d need a fair amount of rope. It was possible the trick was to find civilization and steal a boat. I spent the third day searching through the forest. When I turned up nothing but trees, I decided that the next day I’d walk up the beach until I had no choice but to turn back. Then, I’d used the next day to go in the other direction. If there was civilization within walking distance, I’d find it. When walking north turned up nothing, and I began to worry. I had only two days left before the Shadow would come for me. All I wanted was to find a way back and fade back into the hoard. I wanted to be a nobody on Glasser Island and avoid Mahan and the Shadow as much as I could. 

I woke up on the fifth day and headed south. The day was as perfect as the ones before, and I began to wonder about this place. It seemed unnaturally calm, but then again, I’d come from somewhere that was unnaturally horrid. Maybe this was what the rest of the world was like. 

I walked for a few miles until I came to a bend in the beach and rounded a corner into a small cove. I considered swimming to the other side, but decided against it, not wanting to soak my boots. Instead, I kicked them off and walked in the water around the bend of the cove, letting my feet enjoy the water and sticky sand as it sank between my toes. The water was surprisingly cold for such a warm day, but it was a welcome relief. I walked like that all the way around the cove, pausing on the other side. I was about to wash off my feet and return my boots when a voice so clear and bright rang through my mind that I jumped back and dropped my boots. 

“Raine, run!” the voice said, and for a moment I stood there, shocked. “Run! Now!” it said again, and the urgency in the voice propelled me forward. I felt a rush of wind around me and I went with it. There had been no breeze before this moment, and I knew the wind was taking me where the voice wanted me to go. Then, I was flying. I ran faster than I’d ever run down the beach, my feet kicking up sand behind me, my heart racing, until the wind turned and began to take me to the water. I hesitated, but then the voice shouted, “Go! Find her!”

Find her? Who? I knew I didn’t have time to wonder. The wind pushed hard into my back as if hands were shoving me forward. I continued to run, then braced myself as I dove headfirst into the frigid water. I swam hard, and the water rushed as a current seemed to guide me forward. I couldn’t see anything in the darkness of the sea. Blind, I swam harder than I ever had, my lungs burning, and just before I reached her, I knew. 

I grasped her arm, then pulled her to my side and kicked off the ocean floor. When I surfaced, I gasped for air and looked at the girl, who was unconscious. Fear ran through me and I gripped her in one arm and swam hard back to shore, the current helping me as I went. I felt more alive and aware at that moment than any other in my life. I pulled the small girl onto the shore and pressed my mouth to hers, pushing air into her lungs. I pushed on her chest, then in a moment of desperation, turned her on her side and hit her back hard. She coughed, water spraying from her, and I sighed with relief. She coughed until she caught her breath, and I reached for her shoulders and helped her sit up. Her hair was a dark brown mess that was stuck to most of her face, and she used her sand-covered hands to brush it away as she brought her eyes to mine. 

My entire body responded to her eyes with a warm sweep of emotion. I couldn’t speak. They were the blue of the sky, and she stared at me with the same wonder I had to be staring at her. I had never seen anything so pure. So completely good. Where I came from, no one was good. Seeing her was a shock to my lifeless heart, and I felt it beat with purpose for the first time in my life. 

She was small. A child. Maybe 10 years old. Her eyes were still wide with wonder, or perhaps shock. I didn’t want to drag my eyes from hers, but I glanced around, suddenly wondering where she had come from. I looked back at her. “Are you alright?”

She didn’t speak right away. Shock, then. Did she have parents? Was she alone? I glanced around the beach again, expecting someone to come looking for her. 

“Yes,” she said, and her voice brought my eyes back to hers. It took me a moment to remember what I’d asked her, but then the realization came and I gave her a faint smile. “The whale,” she said, and I narrowed my eyes. “Did you see it?”

“No,” I said. I wondered if she was delirious. She was looking at me as if she had questions now. How did I explain what happened? I’d sound like a fool, surely. I hadn’t seen or heard anything but the wind and the voice in my head. 

There wasn’t time for me to consider my reply. A voice called from down the beach, around another bend in the cove. “Kalista!” The man’s voice was loud and scared. I couldn’t let him see me. I had to go. I didn’t know much about the other kingdoms, but I knew that anyone I found on this beach was no ally of Glasser Island. Mahan had given orders to take anyone out I saw, and I knew I had to get away. 

I looked at the girl, who hadn’t taken her eyes off me. “Kalista?” I asked, and she nodded. Her name suited her perfectly. 

“What’s your name?” she asked, so sweetly. My heart tugged, and I opened my mouth to answer her as her name sounded again, this time much closer than before. 

“Kalista!” the same booming voice echoed from around the curve, and with one last glance into her eyes, I stood and ran. I ran and ran until the shadows of the trees were thick around me, then I ducked behind a large trunk and turned. Kalista was looking in the direction I’d disappeared, her eyes wide and wild, as if panicked to see me go. A feeling I’d never felt before sliced through my heart. 

I watched as an enormous man with wild red hair turned the corner and spotted her. “Kalista!” he said, this time relief ripe in his tone. She didn’t look at him. She was still gazing longingly into the shadows, but he didn’t seem to notice. He ran for her and fell into the sand beside her. They were too far away for me to hear what they said, but she pointed in my direction. I ducked further behind the tree as my heart sped. The man only gave a quick glance to the woods, then he returned his attention back to Kalista. He smoothed some hair from her face, then lifted her from the ground, cradling her in his arms. She seemed to protest as she craned her neck, continuing to look to the spot where I’d disappeared. The man didn’t care, seeming to ignore her as he walked further down the beach. 

I didn’t want to let her out of my sight. Propelled by the gentle breeze, the same spirits who’d ushered me to save her guided me now. I walked from shadow to shadow in the trees, following them out of sight until I spotted a small cottage. I hung back and watched as the man turned toward the forest and walked up the path to the home. Kalista didn’t see me as she shot one last glance into the woods. And then they were inside. 

When she was out of sight, an ache went through me. I stood there, motionless, waiting to see if they’d emerge. I looked up at the sky. If I wanted to get back to camp before nightfall, I needed to turn back soon. I only had one day left before the Shadow came, and I needed to use it well. But I didn’t want to leave. Leaving her felt wrong, somehow. What happened to me? I put my hand on my chest and felt my heart strong in my chest. Her eyes put a spark of something inside me. A promise. Like the world could be better, like I could be better than I’d thought. If there was a goodness like hers out there in the world, then I wanted to find it. Hope blossomed inside me for the first time in my life. 

I decided to stay in the woods tonight and head back the next day. I walked back to the beach and picked up my boots, washed my feet of the sand and returned the boots to my feet. I found water, ate nearly all the blackberries from another bush, and returned to the house. It was getting dark as the last light of sun disappeared behind the forest. When I looked toward the beach, I spotted two girls on a large blanket lying down, looking up at the sky that was just beginning to prick with stars. 

Kalista was with a little girl with blonde hair. Kalista’s arms were gesturing wildly to the sky as the blonde girl giggled. I walked closer to the beach, careful to stay hidden in the shadow of the trees. I could hear her sweet voice say, “And the whale just pushed me in! I was caught near his side and I couldn’t escape. I tried to swim back, but after trying as hard as I could, everything just went black. I was so scared, Georgia.”

“And then the boy came?” the blonde girl sounded wistful. 

Kalista sighed. “The next thing I knew I was breathing, and when I opened my eyes, he was there.” A sound of a crashing wave echoed around us. “Georgia, his eyes were so green. I don’t think I’ll ever forget them.”

My heart tugged again. 

“Where do you think he came from?” Georgia asked. 

Kalista was quiet. “Maybe he was a spirit sent to save me? I don’t know. I just wish he hadn’t run away.”

My shoulders tensed. She thought I was a spirit? Well, that couldn’t be further from the truth. I was no spirit. At least not a good one. If anything, Mahan was turning me into something much more evil than good. I took a cautious step back. Whatever she thought was wrong. I wasn’t good. She was good. She was pure light, but I knew what I was. I suddenly knew I couldn’t stay here. What was I doing here, anyway? If I talked to her, what could I say? I couldn’t tell her who I was or where I was from. We could never be friends. We were from two different worlds. One good, one evil, and I didn’t want to corrupt her with any part of mine. 

I gave her one last glance. This girl who put a spark of hope inside me. At least I knew she existed. Her goodness was out there, whether or not I had any of it inside me. I knew I didn’t. But her existence was comforting. Secure. I turned and walked slowly back through the forest until I could no longer see the house, and then, I heard it. A tongue clicking with a disappointed edge. 

I turned and there he was. The Shadow stood ten feet away in the darkness between trees, his arms crossed over his chest. He had his hood drawn over his bald head, where I knew the wing of his hawk tattoo stretched. His assassin’s mark. The mark I’d prayed I’d never wear. My heart lept, fear gripping me. He was too close to their house. Had he seen me go there? Was he watching me the whole time? Dawning came before he spoke, and I knew what he was going to say. 

“You failed,” he said. “You talked to someone and they are still alive. Do you think that family is your friend Raine?”

I was silent. Was this the plan all along? He saw the questions in my eyes and smiled, but it was full of malice. 

“They are your enemies. Anyone we find here is an enemy. Mahan made that clear before he sent you. He gave you strict orders to kill anyone you see on this beach, but I saw you save a little girl and now she’s safe at home.” He glared at me with annoyance. “I never had a problem with you, Raine. You’re strong and quick. You could have been a great assassin. Some think you could be the next Shadow, even. I don’t know about that, but I will say, I’m in a good mood today.” He uncrossed his arms and took a step toward me, his eyes boring into mine. “It would be such a waste to kill you. Especially after all the work Mahan has put into you. I’m willing to give you one final chance. Go back there and finish them, or I will.”

Heat rushed through me, and the tug that had been pulling at my heart since I saw Kalista pulled into a hard line. If he thought he was going to lay a finger on her, he was mistaken. A whirlwind of thoughts swept through my mind. I had to protect her, even if it meant becoming the one thing I never wanted to be. Resolve came hard and fast, because there was no time for anything else. I had to take him down. I had to at least try. I had to do this for her, and right now, that was enough. I felt a rush around me for the third time today. This time, I recognized the spirit for what it was. Courage. I knew what I had to do. I knew my purpose now. I steeled my heart and reached for my knife. 

Chapter Two: Kalista

I stared down the enormous whale, but I wasn’t afraid. It rested on the shore, inches away from where I stood on the warm sand. The sun was brilliant, glistening on the whale’s skin. A rainbow painted the sky above, creating an enchanted and vibrant scene. Behind me, a towering hill sat covered in the work of the Guardian of Life. Fragrant flowers, trees, and plants brightened the hill, and I could hear birds pouring out songs as they frolicked in the fruit-strewn branches. Beauty surrounded me at every angle, and I could almost hear the Guardian’s song catching on the edge of the breeze. Waves crawled up the sand, pouring over my toes, then receded as I felt the cool water circle around my ankles. I inched closer to the whale, extending my hand, and laid it on his face. It was slippery and cool beneath my palm, and the whale seemed to welcome the contact. I lingered, and my skin pricked as calm swept over me. “I could stay here forever,” I thought. 

Without warning, the whale used his nose to nudge me into the water, then turned and swam me deeper into the waves. I tried to move past him, but it was no use, then felt nothing but waves on all sides. The whale had vanished, and I was alone as fear gripped me as the waves crashed around me. I tried to keep my head above the waves, but it was no use. A wave washed over me, and I frantically searched for the surface, unsure of which end was up. The moment I finally reached the surface, another wave took me down. I felt Death lurking in the darkness of the waves, ready to take me prisoner. “This is it,” I resigned. I wasn’t going to survive. 

Thump, thump, thump! The sound startled me awake, and I sat up in bed, still gasping for breath. A memory. A dream. 

The same dream I had every night. 

Bright rays of sunlight poured through my windows across my face, temporarily blinding me. I plopped back down onto my pillow and swept the covers over my head as an unsatisfied groan escaped my lips. The end of the dream was so close, but it was ripped from me. I longed for its sweet relief. Instead, I was waking to the out-of-control feeling of drowning in the sea. 

The banging came again, and I heard my sister call, “Kalista, I’m coming in!” Georgia swung open the broad wooden door and stripped the silky covers from my body in a swift act. I recoiled as my hand shot up to block the sun from my eyes. Georgia was bursting, unable to wait another moment for the day to begin. “Kali, his platoon will be back any time! Do you want him to look you up and down or not? It’s time to do your hair.”

I sat up and reached for the steaming mug Georgia had set on my bedside table. The bittersweet scent wafted upward, and I took a calming breath before I spoke. “Nothing before coffee, Georgia. I’ll meet you in your room. Just give me a minute.” 

Her sing-song voice rung through the otherwise quiet room. “Suit yourself. Time is beauty, you know.” She took a step towards the door, then swung around to face me. Her blonde hair fell over her shoulders in waves that framed her heart-shaped face. Her eyes, blue like mine, shone in the sunlight that was trailing in through the open window. “I shouldn’t push you so much. Maybe then boys would notice me for a change.” She flipped her hair over her shoulder, whimsy and sarcasm dripping from her as she left me alone.

My mind was still reeling from the dream, and I needed a moment to regroup. I stood and walked to the short distance to the open window that overlooked the forest of live oak trees stretching beyond the gray stone castle. The early morning sun glistened off their moss-covered branches, and I felt a bit of relief as the breeze whisked in and kissed my face. I closed my eyes and welcomed the spirits of the Guardians to the morning. A light touch brushed my cheek, a quiet greeting from a spirit of Peace. I let in a long, slow breath and let it out. “You’ve been anticipating this day for months,” I told myself. “Choose to enjoy it.”

I turned and remembered Georgia’s last words. She knew full well boys were always noticing her. She was lovely. The one boy that noticed me only did so because he had no choice. Luke Ramsey and I had been betrothed since the day I was born. Most royalty hoped to have sons, but the King and Queen of Harbor’s End had hoped for a baby girl as a prize for the little urchin. Their lifelong best friends had a two-year-old son, and it had been our parent’s wish to combine the families. For Luke’s father, General Weston Ramsey, the wish had been to see his son was the next king. He’d never admit it, but I could see through his greedy little eyes. When I was born, their first order of business was to sign a marriage agreement. My life was signed away, chosen for me, before I was old enough to voice a protest. 

I sighed, then took another sip of coffee. Arching my back, I stretched my left arm overhead with a yawn as I took steps towards my closet. I pulled out the clothes that Georgia had chosen for me the night before. A plain blue dress with capped sleeves that, she said, brought out the blue in my eyes. I got dressed quickly as my anticipation grew, and I almost didn’t have to pretend to be excited about the day ahead as I walked into Georgia’s room. 

“You sure you have time for the braid?” I asked as I watched Georgia finishing her own hair. She was the fashionable one between us, and I was always happy for her help in this area. Without answering, she spun in my direction and motioned me to sit on the stool by the mirror before she approached me and ran her silver brush down my long, dark hair. 

“Did you have the dream again?” Georgia asked with raised eyebrows. She knew about the whale and was always interested in hearing the version of the night. Sometimes the scene was at night. Sometimes it was raining. Once the whale had spoken to me in a tongue I didn’t understand, and once it had been not one, but hundreds of whales on the shore. The only thing they had in common was the ending. They all ended with the same pair of green eyes staring into mine. 

“Yes. This time I saw a full rainbow above the whale. The dream isn’t always that vivid, but I saw the colors so clearly. You woke me as I was drowning, so thanks for that,” I said with a hint of sarcasm. 

“The rainbow sounds like a good sign,” she responded, ignoring my tone. As she spoke, she wove my hair into a braid that she wrapped expertly around my head. 

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes. “I suppose so.” 

Taking another sip of coffee, I looked at my reflection. I saw someone elegant, older than I felt. Someone who could be ready for the steps the kingdom wanted me to take. I didn’t feel like that person I saw. My unease made my stomach squeeze, and I looked at Georgia in the reflection of the mirror. 

As if she could read my mind, she spoke, her tone taking an uncharacteristically serious note. “You know, Kalista,” she started, “You’re not a little girl anymore. And Luke is, well, a fine man.” She giggled as she squeezed my shoulders from behind me as she looked at me through the mirror ahead. I couldn’t help smiling back at her. “You should start thinking of him that way. I think he’s already feeling that way about you. You have some catching up to do.” 

My confidence in his feelings was low, but I didn’t argue. I had to admit, it would be easier if we developed some actual feelings for one another. Given the agreement, it was my duty to marry him one day. It was days like today that would at least give us a chance to develop a spark. Today, Luke would return from a mission that had kept him away for the better part of a year, and I was hoping for a fresh start. 

We finished and hurried down the wing to the staircase that would bring us to the front entry of the castle. The stairs winded along two walls that led to the north and south wings. In the entry, hundreds of portraits filled the walls from floor to ceiling. The portraits bore the faces of past kings, queens, generals, scholars, priests, and others that had played a part in building our kingdom. The walls were full so that, according to my father, everyone felt invited in. If there was anything my father wanted, it was a full house. 

As we stepped down the stairs, I saw my father’s fiery red hair pulled back in a messy bun at the back of his head. He had trimmed his beard for the occasion, though it was still full, and framed his round face and bright blue eyes. His voice echoed through the stone hallways as he gave orders to the kitchen staff. “It’s a celebration! Bring up the best wine from the cellar. Take an extra bottle for yourself, Graham! Everyone should have some fun tonight.” 

My father, King Kedrick, was a great King. He loved his people, and the kingdom loved him. He saw the value of every person he met and took time to hear their stories. I wanted so to be like my father. I was the oldest, but Georgia wasn’t far behind me. Still, those few months I had on her meant I held the responsibility of taking the crown someday. I feared I would never live up to my father as Queen. 

He saw us halfway down the stairs and lit up. “My loves! I see you’re ready for this glorious day. Georgia, Graham is going to the wine cellar to bring up the Blackstone wine. Would you mind going along? I want as many bottles brought up as you both can carry.” 

Graham was a younger member of the staff, although still a few years older than us. He looked pleased that the King had asked Georgia to help. Whether it was for the extra set of hands or because it was Georgia was unclear. Georgia smiled and skipped down the last steps, landing next to Graham. 

“Of course! Let’s go!” she said with a tiny hop. They were off, and I saw Graham keep a few steps behind her, enjoying the view. 

My father turned to face me. “What’s the occasion?” I asked him warily. Luke’s platoon had been on a mission to investigate a raid when they discovered a family had lost their home. The manor housed over one hundred residents when you included their staff, and the platoon chose to stay to rebuild their stables and home. They would return tonight, but they often returned from excursions without the type of fanfare my father was calling for. As Luke and I got older, the more worried I became my father would force us together. A celebration could look like an opportunity to announce a wedding date, and I felt uneasy about the town expecting that so soon. 

I watched my father form his answer, and when he spoke, he had an air of pride in his voice. “The platoon has done a great deed by rebuilding Timsdale Manor. They stayed beyond their duty to help a family that was in dire need. Without the platoon, it would have taken them months, if not years, to rebuild.” He paused for a moment. “Did you know it was Luke who suggested they stay to help? I am a proud King. I’m proud of General Ramsey, proud of Captain Luke, and proud of the men for getting the work done with excellence. A celebration is in order. Sometimes we celebrate victories of battle, and sometimes we celebrate victories of character. Today is the latter. Never hold back, my love, from celebrating even the minor victories of character.” 

Of course, my father wanted to celebrate Luke. My father adored him. Growing up, my father seemed to spend more time with Luke that he did with me. He never missed a chance to teach Luke valuable lessons that would help him when he was King. Luke and my father had regular meetings weekly to that end. My father never once did that with me. I let it roll off of me. I had gotten used to everyone’s preference for my future husband. I’d have to live with it for the rest of my life. 

He reached his enormous arms out, and I stepped in and wrapped mine around his waist. For such a large man, gentleness ran through him and he was more inviting than intimidating. He kissed the top of my head and stepped back to look at me, holding my hands out to each side in his huge palms. “You look lovely,” he said as more of an accusation than a compliment. He lifted an eyebrow and asked, “What’s the occasion for you?” 

“Georgia had the idea that I might like to dress up today. You can guess why,” I said, rolling my eyes. His eyebrows furrowed at my attitude, and I put on a more upbeat smile. “I will say I feel an extra dose of hope today. Anything can happen,” I said the words as if I was convincing myself, and I got the feeling I didn’t convince him. 

He sighed as a strand of his red hair fell free of his bun. “Kalista, I try to stay out of your relationship, but I need to say one thing. I’ll say it, then I’ll leave you alone, but you need to hear it.” He took a breath, brought my hands toward his heart, and his eyes reflected a father’s love. “Luke’s heart is with you. It always has been. If doubt in his affections holds you back, it shouldn’t. Everyone can see that if he had the choice of any girl to be in this arrangement with, it would be you. I know the betrothal seems to take some of the romance out, but trust me, he cares about you.” 

He watched my face, and I wondered what he saw. His words should have been comforting, but a pit in my stomach grew. My father was wrong. Growing up, Luke had I had clashed. He constantly irritated me with his pranks. Taping my sheet music to the ceiling, filling my basin with toads, and once, in his worst act, he even stole my cat and told me it had been eaten by a Ralvian. I was devastated, and he let me cry for a whole evening without telling me the truth. That night as I slept, he somehow slipped the cat back into my room, and when she jumped into my bed, I screamed so loudly that I woke half the castle. No, Luke didn’t like me. Luke liked to torment me, maybe, but I had little faith in his actual affections.

“However,” my father sighed as he continued, “you’re young and these things take time. I won’t rush you into love. I only think if you let him in, you could be happy.” He bent down and kissed the top of my head again, then straightened and clapped his hands together. “Now, you’re off for the day. Georgia and I will take care of the party. Run along.” He turned and saw a passing maid, called out to her, and stopped to kiss her hand. They walked down the hall talking about tables and centerpieces. I smiled at him as I turned and walked through the enormous front doors and I stepped into the sunlight. It was already warm for the morning in the late summer sun, and I could smell the salty sea as I stood on the castle steps. I breathed it in and felt a light breeze graze my skin. 

I would have argued and offered to help my father, but I was happy to have some freedom this morning. I knew exactly what I would do. I stood at the top of the steps, looking out at the courtyard below me. 

The courtyard was a large, square expanse just outside the castle’s front doors. Beyond the square, a set of gates that rarely shut separated the courtyard from a street that split in three directions, each leading into a different part of the town. The center path led up a cobblestone walkway to the town square. There, bustling shops and restaurants attracted the citizens daily. Beyond the square, at the top of the hill, the Temple could be seen from anywhere in Harbor’s End. A morning tradition began the day as the Spirit Scholars rang bells and sang hymns from inside the Temple to wake the Guardians of Wonder. Beyond the town’s wall, within walking distance, the sands and rocks of the Harbor’s End beach stretched for miles in either direction. The town was named after a harbor on the north end of the kingdom that had long since been shut down when threats to our kingdom were posed from surrounding regions. Still, the kingdom kept its name, and I couldn’t be prouder of the place I called my home. 

Harbor’s End was special. Traders who visited often commented on the peace they felt upon entering. Ever since I was small, I could feel the spirits here. Encouraging, protecting, and lifting me up. I hadn’t yet been to visit other kingdoms, but the travelers all agreed that the air in Harbor’s End was blissful and light. Often visitors would extend their stays to enjoy the surrounding joy. It was unclear why the Guardians chose to bless us in such a way, but whatever the reason, I was grateful to the spirits, and I loved them for it. 

I looked out at the buzzing courtyard. Merchants loaded and prepared their wagons to pass through the kingdom. Bright red apples, juicy melons, oranges and ripe strawberries filled a cart to my right. A rainbow of ribbons lined the next cart and danced in the breeze, brushing folds of fabric in deep blues, purples, and cream. I watched Willow, the town seamstress, folding a scrap of linen. She rested it atop the fabric pile with a press of her hand. Trinkets piled in a wagon owned by Terrance Trott, and I watched him as he lifted it to hitch to his horse. Today, he had clocks, pipes, and a few games displayed. I scanned the crowd looking for Rich, whose wife made the most delicious candies and treats. I spotted him at the far end of the courtyard as he was arranging his delicacies for the day. 

I dodged wagons, horses, and mud puddles on my way to Rich and the cart of sweets. “Mind if I get the first pick of the day?” I asked, reaching into my pocket for some coins. 

“Princess!” Rich turned, a smile lighting his face, and raised his arms into the air. “I have your favorite saved away.” He reached into a compartment near the front of the cart when I stopped him. 

“Actually, today, I’m giving gifts,” I said. “Do you have the taffy that the Granger girls like?” 

“Ready to go,” he said as he reached for a small bag already filled with taffy. “All their favorite flavors, fresh made just for them,” he said with a grin. 

I looked back over the cart of sweets. My eyes rested on a bag of chocolate-covered nuts. “I’ll take those as well,” I said, and dug back into my pocket for more coins. 

“Captain Luke’s favorite,” Rich wiggled his eyebrows as he picked them up and handed them to me. “Let’s let that be a gift from both of us. No charge. That man deserves something sweet today.” He winked at me as he handed me the bag, and I suppressed an urge to roll my eyes. His remark was a reminder of the town’s expectations for the day. My stomach tightened, and I forced a bright smile. 

“Indeed.” I thanked Rich and turned around, trying to find a path through the crowd to make my way out of the courtyard. As I began to take a step, something stopped me. I felt my spine tingle and the hairs on the back of my neck rise. Intensity and knowing pulsed through my veins, and my heart thudded against my breastbone.

I felt something. My heart sped and hope sprang up in me. I glanced around the courtyard, searching. The energy that surrounded me was undeniable, almost palpable. I didn’t know what I was searching for, but I knew that something was here. Something the spirits wanted me to find. I felt it then, just at my back. I turned around, and just outside the stables, I saw him. 

Standing in front of me, twenty yards away, I saw a pair of eyes peering out of a hooded cloak. Our eyes locked. Beautiful green pools stared back at me, and for a moment, all I could do was stare. He stared back, a shocked expression on his face, as if seeing me here was as much of a surprise to him as it was to me. It was clear he recognized me after all these years. Where had he come from? The corners of my mouth lifted, but he continued to stare at me as if I were a ghost. I wanted to go to him, but as if he could read my thoughts, his face grew stern and he turned away, walking swiftly in the direction of the stables. My heart sank. He was leaving? I thought he had recognized me. 

I hurried after him, but the crowd got in the way before I could get to him. It all happened so quickly, and the crowd delayed me long enough that when I finally looked down the passage where he had turned, he was gone. I cursed under my breath, realizing I’d lost him. I knew those eyes. I’d know them anywhere. They were the same eyes that haunted my dreams every night. 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic