The Most Anticipated Crime Shows of 2022

Tv-preview.jpg

It’s January! The most sluggish, torturous month of the year—in a good year.  This January, things are not better, we’re just older and more tired. But the TV is good, which isn’t a tradeoff, but is at least a nice way to take the edge off after we’re done standing in a corner of the room and screaming.

These shows are listed in chronological order, and the first few have already aired so you can get right to streaming.

The Cleaning Lady, Season 1

The-Cleaning-Lady-on-Fox-1200x674-1.jpg

Maybe you like shows about people who, after being abandoned by the bureaucratic systems that are supposed keep them safe and healthy, take matters into their own hands and dabble in various criminal enterprises in order to save themselves and their families. Maybe you find shows with such conceits too stressful to watch even though you want to. Either way, in The Cleaning Lady, Elodie Yung plays a badass Cambodian doctor who brings her son to the US for a medical procedure. For various reasons, they are failed by the healthcare complex and she decides to do whatever it takes, and fight back.

Release Date: January 3rd

Available on: FOX

Search Party, Season 5

Search-Party-Season-5.png

Search Party! The highly experimental satire/mystery/thriller series has just released its final season! I’m very proud of the way this show moved along, slipping on and off various generic conventions as it moved from season to season, all while slinging razor-sharp commentary.

Release Date: January 7th

Available on: HBO Max

Archive 81, Season 1

Archive81_Season1_Episode6_00_02_26_14R-

So let me get this straight… in this series, an archivist must take over the restoration of tapes put together by a filmmaker who investigated a dangerous cult and then gets sucked into a mystery about it? Literally, stuff like this is WHY people become archivists in the first place.

Release Date: January 14th

Available on: Netflix

Ozark, Season 4

ozark-season-3-laura-linney-jason-batema

Do you like money laundering, bleak mid-western landscapes, and Jason Bateman? If so, you’re in luck because Ozark is back! Part one of the final season, that is. Hopefully our characters can make a CLEAN break. I do apologize, yes, that is a “laundering” joke.

Release Date: January 21st

Snowpiercer, Season 3

snowpiercer.jpg

I absolutely, absolutely can’t wait for Season 3 of Snowpiercer to drop, but it’s not for the reason you probably think. I’ve never seen a single second of the show, yet I still cannot wait for it because my best friend wrote an upcoming episode!! A whole episode!! I am thrilled, despite not having much context. So, yeah, full disclosure, me writing this entry is a conflict of interest. I AM COMPROMISED.

Release Date: January 24th

Available on: HBO Max

The Woman In The House Across The Street From The Girl In The Window, Season 1

the-woman-in-the-house-across-the-street

I’m looking forward to this pastiche of voyeuristic domestic thrillers starring Kristen Bell and a whole slew of wonderful character actors. Will it merely be a collection of jokes about contemporary thriller cliches delivered in deadpan, or a thorough exploration of those tropes? I’ll be the judge of that. Thinking this would be a good “wine show.” Wish I drank wine, though. Maybe I’ll make a cheese plate instead.

Release Date: January 28th

The Afterparty, Season 1

The-Afterparty.jpg

The wildly talented Tiffany Haddish leads this goofy-seeming ensemble murder-mystery about a group of former classmates whose high school reunion afterparty turns into a murder scene. A new entrant into the “millennial murder mystery” genre most prominently inaugurated by the inventive series Search Party. I’ll be interested to see if it meaningfully explores its conventions, or merely tries them on for a few nights of fun. Lucky for us all, Ilana Glazer co-stars.

Release Date: January 28th

Available on: Apple TV+

Pam and Tommy, Season 1

Pam-and-Tommy-Season-1.jpg

Lily James and Sebastian Stan basically turn into Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee in this new series about their 1995 sex tape leak. But it also seems to be about the history of the internet—most notably how, as soon as it was born, it became a means for sexploitation.

Release Date: February 2nd

Available on: Hulu

Severance, Season 1

Severance.jpg

Not an adaptation of Ling Ma’s towering literary achievement but similarly offering a unique take on a corporate hellscape, Severance is about an office where the workers’ memories about life outside work are inaccessible during work hours. Adam Scott is the lead but I’m even more excited by the presences of John Turturro and Christopher Walken.

Release Date: February 18th

Available on: Apple TV+

The Endgame, Season 1

Endgame.jpeg

All I know about this one is that it’s supposed to be a show about a “sexy and twisted heist” (per IMDb), which is cool because so is my life.

Release Date: February 21st

Available on: NBC (television)

Law & Order, Season 21

law-and-order.jpg

Ah, Law & Order. Like the mighty vampire, Law & Order is powerful, hypnotic entity with a remarkable inability to permanently die. Yes, just when you thought the coast was definitely clear, that irrepressible primetime staple has sprung back up after several years of dormancy with intent to take over your Hulu watchlists and basically your lives. If it has claimed you before, it will come for you again. Sam Waterson co-stars.

Release Date: February 24th

Available on: NBC (television)

Killing Eve, Season 4

23914694-high_res-killing-eve-series-4.j

After second and third seasons that were less compelling than its sleak, sinister first season, maybe it is okay for Killing Eve to end soon. But not before it wraps up the star-crossed tale about the young psychopathic killer Villanelle (Jodie Comer) and Eve (Sandra Oh), the M16 agent with whom she is obsessed.

Release Date: February 27th

Available on: BBC America (and a week earlier on AMC+)

Better Call Saul, Season 6

Better-Call-Saul-Season-6.jpg

The beloved prodigal show returns! “Number one on your speed dial right next to your weed dealer.”

Release Date: ???

Peaky Blinders, Season 6

Peaky-Blinders-Season-6-Confirmed-Releas

Cillian Murphy said of this new installment of everyone’s favorite historical crime drama about gangs in Birmingham, “It’s going to be heavy!” Which makes the last five seasons what, exactly?

Gangs of London, Season 1

gangs-of-london-scaled.jpg

This one is about gangs of London!

Available on: AMC+

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES