5 Mysteries That Will Keep You Cozy During Winter

yarn-feat1.jpg

The holidays are over and now the real drudge of winter is upon us. At least for those of us living in the northern climates. For me, a native Wisconsinite, I look forward to having a stack of great books to help keep me occupied during the long winter months. There’s nothing better than curling up near the fire with a great mystery while the snow piles up outside. But where to start when there are so many great books to choose from?

As all mystery readers know, there are many diverse categories of cozy mysteries. I thought I would pick one book from each of my favorite genres to share with you today. These are all great stories that are sure to entertain the most voracious cozy mystery reader. I hope you find something here of interest!

The-Thursday-Murder-Club-194x300.jpg

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

Category – Amateur Sleuth

This is one of my all time favorites mysteries! My author group read this for our book club and I’m so glad we did. I absolutely adored the four Septuagenarian sleuths who are not only hilarious but smart, too. I could relate to these characters, especially to Joyce the nurse (have I mentioned I’m a nurse? I am, retired now, but still know enough to be dangerous) and to the frustration of Police Constable Donna De Freitas. I don’t want to give too much away, but I giggled my way through the book and I’m sure you will too.

Murder-in-Chianti-200x300.jpg

Murder in Chianti by Camilla Trinchieri

Category – International Mystery and Suspense

Okay, I’m not going to lie. I love red wine which is the reason I picked this story in the first place. I also adore Italy, so that was two points in this author’s favor. Once I read the first chapter, I was hooked! Nico Doyle (half Irish, half Italian) is a former NYC Police Detective who escapes to Italy after losing his wife, seeking peace and quiet. Instead, he stumbles across a murder. I really enjoyed this story, Nico is very relatable hero and the mystery has many twists and turns. I suggest you give this book a try, while enjoying a glass of wine.

ex-hex-199x300.jpeg

The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling

Category – Paranormal Mystery

Some might argue this is a better book to read at Halloween, I think it works as a winter read, too. I really enjoyed the premise of the story, a female witch casts a hex on her ex who also happens to be a witch. And based on the poor guy’s experiences it seems the hex may have worked! The author delivered a funny, witty and suspenseful story. I really enjoyed Sir Purrcival the talking cat. The chemistry between Vivi and Rhys will burn hotter than your fireplace. You won’t be disappointed.

craft-quilts-200x300.jpeg

A Crafter Quilts a Crime by Holly Quinn

Category – Craft Cozy Mystery

Cozy mysteries involving crafts are a huge hit these days and after reading this story, I can see why. I was drawn to this book set in my home state of Wisconsin, and Holly Quinn did not disappoint. I could relate to the heroine’s small craft shop and thoroughly enjoyed learning about the town. This is an entertaining read, with a great cast of characters that will keep you guessing until the very end.

peaches-and-schemes-194x300.jpeg

Peaches and Schemes by Anna Gerard

Category – Culinary Mystery

Culinary mysteries are also very popular, and I don’t know about you, but reading about food always makes me hungry! This story set in a small town Georgia Bed and Breakfast, does exactly that. Innkeeper Nina Fleet tries to tap into the wedding market to keep her business afloat, despite how she hates everything about planning a wedding. And a dead body falling out of the cake does not help change her mind. I really enjoyed these southern characters and comical situations. This is another book that keeps the reader guessing until the last page.

I hope you enjoy my personal top five favorite mysteries to keep you cozy during the winter!

tailing-trouble-199x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES