6 Great Books Featuring Father-Daughter Relationships

To-Kill-a-Mockingbird.jpeg

Family is messy, and let’s face it: literature thrives on mess. Fiction, it seems, is chockfull of unpleasant and even twisted family relationships. As both a reader and writer, I don’t mind mess, of course. But, when it comes to father-daughter relationships, I prefer complex and tender over destructive and perverse, and I must confess: I’ve always been a sucker for the books that capture that particular relationship with just the right tenor.

My newest book, These Silent Woods, has themes of love, sacrifice, and redemption at its core, and I hope readers will fall in love with the father and daughter who inhabit the pages. Cooper, a flawed but dedicated dad, and Finch, his brave and bright eight-year old, live what appears to be a peaceful life in the remote Appalachian woods. But this world Cooper has built is a tenuous one, and one small misstep can send it toppling. As the story unfolds, we learn what it took for them to achieve their peaceful existence, the tenuous nature of that peace, and just how far Cooper will go to keep his daughter safe.

Below, I’ve rounded up some of my favorite books featuring father-daughter relationships. Here they are:

The-Hate-U-Give-199x300.jpeg

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Sixteen-year old Starr Carter heads the cast in this important and compelling book, as, after seeing her friend shot by a police officer, she must bear the heavy burden of determining whether or not to speak about it. Her story in and of itself is gripping, but I loved the added dimension of her ex-gangster father and his heroic efforts to support Starr. Tough and intimidating, Maverick is also affectionate and warm, and the beautiful relationship he shares with his daughter is one of the book’s many memorable layers.

All-The-Light-We-Cannot-See-194x300.jpeg

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I’m hesitant to even attempt to write about this magnificent novel, as my words will surely fall short, but here goes. Marie-Laure, one of the novel’s two young protagonists, is blind. Her father, Daniel, builds a miniature replica of her neighborhood so that she can memorize it and find her way home. When the Nazis invade Paris and the two of them flee the city, Daniel describes everything that he sees, patiently detailing his observations to his daughter, who must learn to navigate an entirely new and terrifying landscape. Both Marie-Laure and Daniel are noble, brave, and likable, and the love between them is endearing.

hannah tinti

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti

I couldn’t help but fall hard for the deeply flawed Hawley; his bright and brave daughter, Loo; and their long and rocky path to trust and stability in this book. The lake scene in this novel is one of the most memorable passages I’ve read in recent years. It’s terrifying and utterly heartbreaking, all at once. Hannah Tinti sure knows how to make a reader’s heart race, and this one is a favorite of mine.

To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Atticus Finch has been called the idyllic father, and Scout, the bold, spunky narrator of this beloved classic, is equally lovable. It’s hard not to root for the steadfast and ethical Atticus and his equally principled second-grader.

The-Bear-200x300.jpeg

The Bear by Andrew Krivak

In The Bear, a father and daughter—the last two human inhabitants on earth—must navigate the desolate world. With patience and grace, the father teaches the daughter to hunt, fish, and live in harmony with nature. He provides pieces of her history but, more importantly, equips her with the skills she’ll need for the future. Gorgeously written, this story is heartbreaking, uplifting, and beautiful.

When-Ghosts-Come-Home-225x300.jpeg

When Ghosts Come Home by Wiley Cash

Winston, the quiet, humble sheriff who finds himself in the midst of investigating a murder and a plane crash, just as he’s about to lose a bid for reelection, is at the heart of this book. His daughter, Colleen, reels from a major loss of her own, and, as she struggles to regain her footing, heads back to her parents’ home in North Carolina. I especially loved the backstory of these two. From childhood, through adolescence, and into adulthood, Winston tries hard to connect with and support his daughter.

These-Silent-Woods-197x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES