Cozy Mystery Series Featuring Crime-Fighting Pets

furry-friends-feature.jpg

Like many cozy mystery authors, I love adding animals to my stories. The more the merrier.  This is a trend used by many other authors, too. There’s nothing better than reading a cozy mystery and discovering there is an entire series by the same author. Wait, there is something better—when the series includes a lovable pet (or two) that assist in solving the crime!

Many cozy mystery authors include pets in their stories because, let’s be honest, life is more interesting and enjoyable with our furry friends coming along for the ride. Pets are great characters, every dog I’ve owned has had his or her unique personality. Not to mention, pets are smarter than we give them credit for. Whether the story features a cat with an attitude or a dog who is loyal and protective, it’s easy to become emotionally attached to these fictional pets. And really, these furry characters are often the main reason people read through an entire series. For me, it’s an added bonus when those same pets are integral to solving the crime.

Here are my top five favorite series that feature lovable reoccurring pets. Not only are these well-crafted mysteries, which is a requirement for any reader, but the animals are more skilled than their respective owners at solving crimes and tracking down the bad guys. So where should you start if you’d like to read one of these types of books?

tender-is-the-bite-194x300.jpeg

The Chet and Bernie Mystery Series by Spencer Quinn

The Chet and Bernie mystery series is one of my favorites, mostly because it’s uniquely written from Chet (the dog’s) point of view. It may not technically qualify as a cozy mystery, but this series is hilariously funny. I often look at my dog and wonder if he’s thinking the same things Chet does. In this series, Chet and Bernie work together to solve a variety of crimes. From the very beginning, it’s clear that Chet is the real brains in this dynamic duo. Bernie, as a bumbling detective, is equally fun. I love how the author describes the various scents Chet identifies with specific characters, providing a plausible insight into a dog’s mind. Once you read the first book in this series, you won’t be able to stop.

The-Whole-Cat-and-Caboodle-186x300.jpeg

The Paws and Claws Mystery Series by Krista Davis

Krista’s Paws and Claws series is another fantastic read, I blew through the entire series in record time. You’ll fall in love with the adorable town called Wagtail where all pets are not only welcome, but adored and pampered. Why aren’t there more Wagtails in the world? Inquiring minds want to know. The first book introduces the reader to Twinkletoes, a calico cat, and an adorable Jack Russel Terrier, Trixie, who help Minnie bring a murderer to justice. Krista will have you laughing out loud as you move through this entertaining series.

The-Cat-Who-Ate-Danish-Modern-183x300.jp

The Cat Who Series by Lilian Jackson Braun

I really enjoyed this series set in a fictional Midwest town, featuring two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum. Koko is the smarter of the two, but they’re both great additions to the story. This series launched many years ago, by the talented and late Lilian Jackson Braun, but her books have withstood the test of time. I really enjoyed how Koko and Yum Yum, two amazingly intelligent felines, assist their owner, reporter Jim Qwilleran (also known as Qwil), solve a multitude of crimes.

Fast-and-the-Furriest-225x300.jpeg

The Second Chance Cat Mystery Series by Sofie Ryan

Set in the charming town of North Harbor, off the coast of Maine, this series is a joy to read. Along with all the quirky characters, who you will come to love, the best character in the entire series is Elvis, the black cat. Elvis starts as a stray who quickly adopts his owner, Sarah Grayson. Sarah has recently opened a second chance store, which attracts a variety of people. Elvis has a truck load of attitude along with displaying an amazing ability to detect lies. You won’t want to miss this series, Elvis will steal your heart from the very first page.

Pouncing-on-Murder-186x300.jpeg

The Bookmobile Cat Mystery Series by Laurie Cass

I loved the bookmobile when I was a kid, so diving into this series was a no brainer. While the librarian as a main character is a common occurrence within the cozy mystery world, the bookmobile lends a great twist. These stories take place in a small town in Michigan where bookmobile driver Minnie and her black and white stray cat, Eddie, manage to solve a series of crimes, starting with a murder that rocks the town. Eddie is a great character, and I loved the way that cat managed to get his way more often than not, while eventually helping Minnie solve the murder.

I hope you enjoy these crime-fighting, four legged friends as much as I did.

Dogged-By-Death-199x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES