The Perfect Query

Admin_99

Note this does not include a long story pitch or short synopsis (which will sink you if you don't know how to artfully write it), but rather a single hook line (which will also sink you for the same reason). Note that comparables (at least two) are vital to your novel.

Dear Mr. or Ms. (name of agent):

( Open by noting you saw a relevant deal they concluded on PM. It marks you as a true professional. )

I noted in Publishers Marketplace that you represented XYZ Title to ABC Publisher, and I am querying because I have recently completed a novel that might work for your list. You may recall that we met at the XYZ conference [if this is relevant] and thank you so much for your feedback OR manuscript request [again, if relevant].

[Next comes information about the novel--TITLE first, then genre and comps] The Great American Novel is a domestic thriller novel of 92,000 words [comparisons to other novels] comparable to Gone Girl
meets Hunt for Red October

[HOOK OR LOG LINE INSERTED HERE--MUST BE EXCELLENT. IF POSSIBLE, HAVE A PROFESSIONAL REVIEW IT BECAUSE THEY CAN BE DIFFICULT TO WRITE. READ ABOUT CONFLICT AND CORE WOUNDS IN THE PRIOR LINK AND ALSO SEE THE EXAMPLES IN THIS NEXT ONE BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT IT: SAMPLE LOG LINES.]

( NOTE: if no creds below then rely on the hook )

[Professional credentials, platform, or personal background of the author]  I won the XYZ novel contest. My short stories have appeared in Granta and The Atlantic. I have an MFA from Iowa. A novel of mine published by XYZ was an Amazon best-seller... OR I am an avid dog-owner and run a shelter for homeless Labradors [if relevant and important to the novel]... OR I have five million followers on TT or X.

I am attaching/enclosing [note: only attach documents when the agent explicitly asks for attachments]: an outline; synopsis; sample chapter(s); press clippings about my other published works; endorsements by (1) bestselling authors, (2) celebrities, (3) experts, (4) other people who really would be useful for endorsements.

[submission information] This is on a multiple submission. If you are interested in reading the entire manuscript, however, I will be happy to give you exclusivity.

Best Wishes,

Merilee Author

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic