Book Reports Colin Reed

TSID

Book Reports:

The Art of Fiction by John Gardner

1. This book has been aided me greatly in fleshing out a succinct plot, as well as promoting good writing practices. John Gardner really knows the great detail that goes into writing a believable plot with multidimensional characters and interactions. For that reason, my writing has flourished. The craft points he makes are spot on, and any novice or intermediate writer would be wise to take notice.
  2. The three lessons that I’ve learned from John Gardner include the importance of plotting, characterization, and good practices. His plotting advice is something I’ve referred to whenever I’ve gotten stuck on how scenes should play out, and how they should serve a purpose in the story as a whole. Characterization is another crucial piece of advice that I’ve incorporated into making each one of my characters have a unique voice. Listening to the dialogue out loud helps a lot when doing this. His good practice advice is also of great importance because many times I’ve found myself wondering if my sentence structure and how well my writing flowed.
  3. For the most part, John Gardner’s advice and practices share a lot in common with the Algonkian Novel Writing Program. I haven’t seen any differences except that I’ve had to write more specific types of pieces based on the writing exercise guidelines in the AS 2 Modules. Those exercises have taught me to write creative pieces when given a unique short story situation.

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass

1. This book has been a really great read! The fact that it goes into great detail about market positioning and what it takes to craft a blockbuster novel has proved essential in figuring out where my writing stands.
  2. The multiple points of view section really helped put me on the right path on determining whether or not my technique is right. Before reading this, I was unsure of whether I could include multiple points of view or not. The tension section of the book confirmed to me that having high stakes and keeping your readers on the edge of their seats is a good thing. In turn, I’ve focused on continuing to make every chapter an exciting one. The agent and editor part of the book better informed me on what a writer needs to do to give themselves the best shot possible when pitching. I didn’t fully grasp the importance of the pitch and just how much work needs to go into one. That is why I’m constantly tweaking my query letter so that it will grab an agent or editor’s attention from the first sentence.
  3. This book, unlike The Art of Fiction, was choked full of publishing advice that John Gardner didn’t delve too deep into. Compared to the Algonkian Novel Writing Program, this book stands on even ground in terms being helpful in both craft and publishing advice.

Write Away by Elizabeth George

1. Elizabeth George taught me that the craft of writing can be taught if one is willing to put in the hard work necessary. I also liked how she emphasized that the process of writing a book takes plenty of time and shouldn’t be rushed if possible.
  2. This book taught me to have patience while getting better at my craft. In the past I’ve been a little antsy about getting my manuscript in the eyes of publishing professionals. But now I know better. I currently see becoming a published author as a voyage, one that should be taken slow and savored. Another aspect that can be applied to my writing is the advice on taking small steps towards my goal. To me, this advice has helped me greatly on not thinking too far ahead and focusing on one scene at a time.
  3. Elizabeth George does a good job of encouraging aspiring writers based on her own trials and tribulations. And though she didn’t get as deep into marketability as Donald Maass, I felt like her book was a good starting point for any writer with the urge of learning the craft in and out. Write Away did not have the commercial focus that the Algonkian Novel Writing Program has. But I did like how she shares her own experiences on the long winding road to publication. I also thoroughly enjoyed getting personal advice from a successful author on how she sees the art of writing as a whole!

The Writing Life by Annie Dillard

1. This book helped me see that writing is at times a lonely and unforgiving art form. I also took solace in how she is an introvert just like me.
  2. Annie Dillard’s harsh but honest take on what it takes to be a writer is very eye opening. I’ve always been the type of writer who doesn’t want readers to coddle me and tell me that everything is perfect. And after reading this book and feel like the more brutally honest someone is, the better. Deep down I know it will only help me improve. Another piece of advice I’m currently incorporating into my writing after reading this book is to write consistently and in any location. I’m a firm believer in writing most every day, even when you don’t want to. In the end, the writers who write only when inspiration strikes are doomed to fail. I’ve always been hesitant to write in anywhere other than my office, but now feel like I should keep a journal on me at all times.
  3. There aren’t many conflicting things with this book and the Algonkian Novel Writing Program. They both strongly share in common the necessity of being realistic and forging ahead no matter how time consuming or arduous the prospect of becoming an author might be. The one thing I wish this book had more of is the publishing marketplace instead of just the craft and writer lifestyle. Though she does paint a pretty good picture of the ups and downs of the writing life.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic