Book Report, Laura Namey

“The Art of Fiction”, John Gardner

1. How did the book help you as a writer? What overall aspects of it taught you something?

This book gave me courage to break rules in my writing. Knowing the rules is imperative before breaking them. But I realize that many of my favorite books have rule-breaking elements in them. I detected an overall theme of aggressive attack in writing - through plot, dialogue, setting, characters, concrete details. Since I write YA, much of my writing is first-person present. Gardner is not a fan! But he did have some great tips on carrying the narrative and not starting every sentence with “I.” The big lesson for me: Balance is everything.

2. What two or three major lessons did you learn from the book that you can apply to your writing and/or your novel?

A big one for me was learning to recognize the difference between being sentimental and sentimentality. I re-tooled many of my scenes after reading this book, for this very reason. Also, having a carefully planned plot is a must. I can detour all I want as I aggressively and creatively move through my chapters. But I must know where I’m going.

3. Was there anything in the books that obviously conflicted with lessons and readings in our novel writing program. If so, what were they?

Nothing conflicted as far as content. One thing I didn’t love about this book is it’s overly formal tone and language. The content in the novel writing program feels much more accessible.

“Writing the Breakout Novel” by Donald Maass

How did the book help you as a writer? What overall aspects of it taught you something?

This might be the best writing manual I’ve read yet. I loved the real, practical examples I could relate to. Also, the books he references are accessible, familiar, and popular. The biggest thing I took away is his view that all projects can be fixed, saved, and can grow to become worthwhile and publishable.

What two or three major lessons did you learn from the book that you can apply to your writing and/or your novel?

1.Ways to make characters unique and interesting without over the top.

2. Stakes are everything. Real, meaningful, personal stakes that inspire an emotional response.

3. Sacrifice is one of the most effective literary tools to employ, when it works.

Was there anything in the books that obviously conflicted with lessons and readings in our novel writing program? If so, what were they?

Not at all. If any book mirrors the Author Salon course material, it’s this one.

“Write Away”, Elizabeth George

1. How did the book help you as a writer? What overall aspects of it taught you something?

This book is filled with how-to gems. Practical, sage advice presented in a detailed, organized fashion. The main nugget I got was to do a little more planning than I did with my first novel. I ended up, goal-wise, in the same spot as I would’ve had I plotted more at the beginning. But her character cards and simple plot structure lists were helpful and I’ll use them again.

2. What two or three major lessons did you learn from the book that you can apply to your writing and/or your novel?

1. Story is character and not just an idea. Character comes first and is most important. The sum of the character’s reactions to events are what hold a story together.
  2. Know your characters well before you write them. Their flaws, fears, gifts, loves, background, prejudices - everything. Taylor their dialogue from this knowledge.
  3. Throughout the novel, continue to open up the story as a wound. Make it bleed in different ways by adding questions that aren’t answered right away. Dropping clues, having the characters grow and change.

3. Was there anything in the books that obviously conflicted with lessons and readings in our novel writing program. If so, what were they?

Nothing conflicted. “Write Away” is the Author Salon program in book form.

“The Writing Life”, Annie Dillard

This is more of a writer’s memoir than instruction manual. Did it help me technically, well not as much as other books. But I enjoyed a glimpse into the often mentally chaotic world and writing process of a Pulitzer Prize winning author. I gleaned a few good nuggets, too. Basically, savor the process of writing. Don’t rush it. And when you think you're done, keep going.

1. Sometimes the parts you cut and kill are what originally were the best parts in your mind or outline. Kill them anyway.
  2. The author needs to possess enough faith in the work to keep going and renew the work constantly, without possessing too much confidence in this work. Danger zone.
  3. Put it all down. Don’t hoard and coddle your best metaphor, character, line, word, whatever. Lay down all of your cards. Bare it all. And trust that more will come. Excellence only breeds more excellence. (Probably the best piece of writing advice I’ve ever heard.)

Nothing conflicted. In fact this book provides what Author Salon does not (and probably doesn’t need to): Ways to handle the crazy that erupts inside the mind, mid-book.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic