Book Reports

AS II / MODULE 8

BOOK REPORTS

I). The Art of Fiction by John Gardner

At first, it was very hard to read and absorb this book. Lots of inferences that I should have gone to college (or still attempt to) in order to write a decent narrative. Not happening. I stopped reading this until I got to AS II and forced myself to dive back in and got a lot more out of it this time around.

What I found of interest:

• Genre crossing, using more than one genre (i.e. fantasy and historical romance) for your story idea.
  • The common errors section became a valuable tool on what not to do. I referred to this section more than once while rewriting the first hundred pages of my manuscript.
  • Technique/POV. Though AS has covered POVs extensively it was a reality check for me to see how important POV delivery is for any story
  • Style. Trying to find your voice and the risks you take (or not) in getting this right.

2). Writing the Breakout Novel Donald Maas

• The workbook style content (please note: write in pencil! You may have to do re-writes as your story progresses.
  • Made me realize how weak and vague my protagonist was. I added another protagonist to make my storyline more entertaining because of this reference book.
  • Importance of subplots to make your manuscript more interesting
  • Weaving your story to get it working together
  • Covering the same material as Author’s Salon, but going in more depth (i.e. plots, conflicts, expositions, tension, etc.)

Didn’t see anything that conflicted with AS

3). Write Away Elizabeth George

• Got to read about somebody else’s writing style. It was in depth and was presented in small sections to help a green horn like me absorb them easier
  • Outlining the plot/story in advance by listing scenes (step outline), then expanding your ideas/story line to a running plot line. Even the pre-plotting where you throw out ideas and see they stick seemed like good tool. These were all interesting enough to make me consider this process for next time.
  • Explaining the importance of creating an opening scene that makes the reader WANT, NEED to read further.
  • Just as important is the hook for the same reasons listed above. She gives a “recipe” on how to write your hook.
  • Omniscient narrator who is the storyteller that can relate the history behind the characters (unlike the objective narrator)
  • Character prompt sheet; fill in the blanks, easy and helps you to fill-out each character

She does not use the six act – two goal novel that AS teaches.

4). The Writing Life Annie Dillard

Shortest book of the bunch, filled with flowery adverbs, pronouns, descriptive phrases that sometimes seem to spill out of the pages. This book is a perfect example of Author Salon’s edict to write with verve! and energy!

• Would that I could write full time and find the perfect, remote (and magical) place to do so. But for now, the library and Kahului Starbucks works just fine. Starbucks especially……food on demand, what more could an aspiring author ask for.

This reference is more about one authors struggle to get her novel written and her writing style rather than anything concretely instructional. She believes the book leads the author. That maybe (sometimes) but you need good tools (i.e. AUTHORS SALON) to make a story successful (get published).

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic