AnnaN999

Since honesty is what you’re seeking... At the time I read it, I remember feeling very annoyed with Gardner and got very little out of the first part of the book. However, now, as I flip through my copy, I’m struck by how much I highlighted and certain passages are connecting. “In all the major genres, vivid detail is the life blood of fiction.” And the writer “must create, stroke by stroke, powerfully convincing characters and settings; he must more and more clearly define for himself what his overall theme or idea is; and he must choose and aesthetically justify his genre and style.” I had to remind myself to remain in the moment. What does the character see? smell? hear? Do I have enough vivid detail? These were helpful, still, I was put off by the author’s arrogance in this first section.

The second part, Notes on the Fictional Process, was practical and valuable. There is a part on the rhythm of sentences, how to study them, experiment with them so that you don’t end up with the same boring structure. This had me playing. (more on this below with George). Of course, there’s the same lesson taught in every creative writing book, every creative writing class - SHOW DON’T TELL. While true, there are moments when it’s ok, when you’re merely relaying something so I looked closely to ensure if there's some telling, it's limited. In the technique section, Gardner writes about structure and “every story is built of a number of units.” This is a useful lesson on building tension, plot, arcs and moving everything forward, building piece by piece and connecting.

Having said all this, it’s not a book I would recommend, or if I did, I’d suggest skipping Part I.

Now here is a book I found practical and valuable from beginning to end. It was well organized and detailed, from Premise to Stakes to Characters and Plot. It forces the writer to evaluate (and re-evaluate) their novels to ensure they can tick off various aspects of what could potentially make it a breakout novel. An important section was on Raising the Stakes, a lesson we’ve heard many times, yet I kept an eye open for this in my own work to ensure I could answer ‘yes’. In the end, one of the more valuable lessons learned had to do with emotionally connecting to the reader. (Here I'm reminded of the AS lesson on protagonist sympathy) Without that, there will be no word of mouth and quite possibly, the reader may not even continue beyond the first few pages. This book suited me and the novel I’m working on. While my book may not be a Pulitzer winner, it could potentially be a popular novel and Maass put me on ease, in some way acknowledging that it's ok to write genre. My goal all along has been to write a genre novel and make it the best it can possibly be.

This is a book I will keep as a reference and I even bought it as a gift for a writing friend.

I loved this book right away...ok corny, but this is a book I recommended to a writing friend. First, for a “how-to” book, I found her prose to be wonderful. Second, is it awful to say I was pleased to learn she was full of self-doubt? While this book hasn’t helped me with the novel I worked on for this program, it is an eye-opener for me on how to approach and plan my next one. Her writing process is straight forward, yet complex. I’m currently applying her routine to my next novel, going through step by step. I use Scrivener which has its own character template, but I found myself revamping it according to the questions George asks about her characters. I’m plotting this next novel the way she does - plan from the idea and work outwards, creating the outline, deciding who’s POV the scene will be rendered in, ask yourself what’s the point of this scene, what do you want to accomplish, working out the hook, etc.

There is a section in her book on sentences, breaking them down by simple, compound, complex etc. and while yes this is going back to the basics, I photocopied it and taped it to my computer as a reminder to read aloud the sentences and listen to the rhythm.

This is the book I found the most valuable of those recommended by AS. One thing of note, I seem to struggle with 3POV and her section on it is the closest I’ve come to begin to understand how to master it (by accepting I don’t have to master them all!)

Won’t keep it. Won’t recommend it. In flipping through, I discovered I didn’t highlight a single section, not even a single word. Yes, writing is a lonely process when you’re trapped in a cold cabin overlooking a lake (an ocean?), oh, but if only it was true for me. When your writing room is in the dining room, there is no isolation. No matter how many times I look my children in the eye and say “I’m not here,” I’m often met with blank stares, followed by harassment. I don’t need to be told the writing life is full of doubt; I’ve experienced it. Many nights I’ve gone to bed thinking I wrote a masterpiece then wake to believing the opposite is true. I’ve received notes from editors that would send me spiraling out of control and my head would hit the pillow, unable to fix the problem. Then something magical happens. My brain works out the answer and by the time I wake up, I know what to do. I suppose this follows her section on the shape of vision, one you add to it several aspects and incubate it, having it grow.

I suppose what did resonate with me is that she's doesn't rewrite what she's written immediately. The first draft won't be perfect. In fact, it won't resemble what you set out to do, but write freely and there will be something there that takes shape.

If these are the lessons I’m supposed to learn, noted, fine I’m enlightened, now moving on. Sorry, but all this navel-gazing didn’t resonate with me.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days