Jonathan Adams

Gardner

I first read Gardner many years ago, when I knew I wanted to be a writer but did not know what kind. Gardner was one of the books that convinced me to write non-fiction. So, here I am. It is still relevant, still intimidating, but either I am wiser and more worldly now than I was at 25, or more likely, I just have an itch that needs scratching.

I find that keeping in mind his idea of fiction as a vivid continuous dream helps reveal unnecessary details or intrusions. His schematic approach to plot and other aspects of construction are also useful rubrics, though I admit I found them laughable at first. His advice to always keep in mind the impact of the story on the reader is also important, and often overlooked.

I did not find any major conflicts with AS, though Gardner does trust the omniscient narrator more than AS.

Maass

I enjoyed this book and the associated workbook that goes with it. His upbeat approach and conviction about the lasting appeal of good storytelling was refreshing. I found his advice to keep raising the stakes for the characters is important, though I am not sure I have been able to follow it. His advice on developing strong antagonists, and suggestions on how to do so, were also useful. is also

I found much of the advice in the book and the workbook to be congruent with but usually not duplicative of AS.

George

An entertaining read, and practical too.

Her take on the importance of persistence is spot on. Roald Dahl, among others, has a similar take. Just putting in the eight hours a day at your desk is key, regardless of whether you produce anything brilliant on any given day. It is the corollary to Woody Allen’s comment that 80 percent of success is just showing up. Her warning that a good hook is not sufficient resonated with me as well, as that was a trap I was ready to fall into.

George refers to a three act structure as opposed to the AS 6-act, but I did not find that to be a major conflict.

Dillard

Perhaps my favorite book on writing, which I have reread four or five times over the course of my 30 years or so as a writer. I read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek when if first came out (I was 13) and it convinced me to be a writer and it remains is one of my favorite books of any kind, so I was predisposed to listen to Annie Dillard.

Her take on how hard it is to write a novel rings truer now than ever, especially the idea that it is never really done. I always thought I took that to heart in my non-fiction, but I find it even more relevant to fiction. She also repeats in more depth the old saw, attributed variously to Faulkner, Wilde, Chesterton, and others, to “kill your darlings.” I hate that advice, but it is almost certainly true.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days