Shop Talk: Brendan Slocumb Absolutely Does Not Listen to Music While He’s Writing

slocumb-feat.jpg

The first time I met Brendan Slocumb, I was flabbergasted. 

It was late 2021. We’d both been selected for a Library Journal panel featuring debut novelist. Nita Prose and Eva Jurczyk, two soon-to-be superstars, were also in the mix. I was nervous. I wasn’t sure what to expect.

Then Brendan started talking . . .

He had the voice, a beautiful, buttery baritone. He had the look, tattooed forearms peeking out from under rolled up sleeves. And he had the backstory, a concert violinist turned author. 

Like I said, I was flabbergasted, watching as Brendan wove all the aforementioned assets into a thrilling introduction of himself and his debut novel, The Violin Conspiracy

The rest of the panel was a blur. I bumbled my way through the questions and was relieved when it was finally over. 

Eight months later, Brendan and I met up again in Jackson for the Mississippi Book Festival. Since I’d last seen him, Brendan’s book had been selected as the Good Morning America Book Club pick. The Violin Conspiracy was everywhere. I got a real kick out of knowing I wasn’t the only one who’d been flabbergasted by Brendan Slocumb.

I also got to know Brendan in Mississippi. We went on a long walk. We broke bread. We had a hell of a conversation about music and books and how we got started in publishing. In many ways, that conversation never stopped. 

For those of you who don’t know Brendan, I’m thrilled to introduce you to him and his work. So damn glad he decided to stop by and talk shop.

Eli Cranor: Let’s start with music: I play guitar and sing a little, but you’re a classically trained violinist. I know you write your own lyrics too. How has that process shaped your approach to writing novels? 

Brendan Slocumb: Writing music and lyrics has really helped me in writing novels because I really had to learn that in writing lyrics, there needed to be meaning. When I wrote a song, there was always something meaningful behind it. Every song is a story. Novels, to me, are songs without music.

EC: How did you make the switch from writing music to writing books? 

BS: In the early days, twenty years ago, my expectations were crazy high. Reality set in. At least one hundred rejections. I learned early on that a good idea wasn’t enough. I really had to learn to show my ideas rather than tell them to the reader. I took advice, critiques and any offer to read my work. It all helped shape me into a better writer.

EC: Do you write every day? 

BS: I only write when I’m working on something. Whether it’s an article or novel. Once I start, I write daily until I finish. 

EC: Do you work toward a word count? 

BS: I try to give myself a goal of 2,500 words daily when I’m writing. Normally, it takes me a few hours. Sometimes it goes further if I’m in a grove.

EC: What are the tools of your trade? 

BS: I write using a Macbook. I’m an Android guy but I was bullied into getting a Mac. I discovered that it’s great for writing. Sometimes, I will jot down ideas on a notepad. Old school pen and paper, I can’t do it.

EC: When do you write? Time of day? 

BS: I like to write starting at noon. My routine is normally: workout, breakfast, much needed shower and then write for a few hours. Teach lessons in the afternoon then maybe write a bit more. 

EC: Do you have any rituals that get you in the mood to write? 

BS: I always like to have some noise going, but it cannot be music. I like old sitcoms and news shows on in the background while I write. Food—er, edibles—help with creativity.

EC: Do you outline?

BS: When I write, I have to have an outline. It usually gets totally switched around in the end but it helps keep the story flowing and my ideas organized. Parts one, two, and three.

EC: What does your revision process look like?

BS: I start edits right away. I allow people to read to get their feel on the stories. What needs more momentum, do they understand the subject and most importantly, is it entertaining? I take every bit of feedback and try to apply it. 

EC: How many revisions will you do before you send it off to your editor?

BS: As many as it takes. I generally will read the entire piece aloud. This allows me to catch typos or make passages easier to understand. It allows me to feel the momentum or lack thereof. I also let my literary agent read every word.

EC: Do you read certain books for inspiration prior to writing? If so, what are they? Do they change from manuscript to manuscript?

BS: I rarely read anything for inspiration. I’m terrified that I will subconsciously use someone else’s ideas in my story. I did that once. I had to scrap the entire thing when I realized that I had written a story that I read a week before. 

EC: Best advice for writers just starting out, especially when it comes to the actual act of writing/developing the habits necessary to craft a novel-length manuscript?

BS: My best advice would be to get as much feedback from as many sources as possible. The readers are ultimately who you are writing for. If there is a slow section or something that is confusing, you get it directly from the consumer. Don’t be afraid to stretch your imagination. Try to avoid saying, “I have to do it like this or else they won’t get it.” Trust your instincts. Outline the entire story from the beginning to the middle to the end. 

EC: Finally, why do you write? 

BS: Great question. I like to write because there are stories that need to be told that not everyone is in a position to tell. I feel like my perspective is unique in a lot of ways and people would be able to identify with it. Different voices and perspectives need to be shared and heard. One of the best feelings is when someone says to you, “I had no idea it was like that. Thank you for enlightening me.”

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES