Five Character-Driven Mystery Novels from European Authors

maze1-feat.jpg

What do I look for in a good crime story? First thing first, I don’t pick a book because it is a crime story, I pick a book for the story. What I look for when I start a book, is to meet the characters. I want to know about them, about their life, about their personal story lines before the plot itself. Because I truly believe, as an author and a reader, that the real echo of a book comes from the characters. A book that really matters, a book that you will care about or will remember as a good book, is because of its characters. They are the real connection to the book, the only door to really get to the story, because the story is about what happens to the character, if you don’t feel connected to them, you won’t feel connected to the story because you won’t truly care about what happens to them. 

What matters about the characters, is not about what they do or what they don’t do, but about who they are. Where are they coming from and where are they going? What are their motivations? As we say: “What is a friend? A friend is someone we know well and we like anyways.” And once you are hooked to a story through the characters, a good plot line and a few great twist will just be the cherry on top!

This is why I am happy to share with you a selection of crime books that matter to me because of the characters. Each of these books are fantastic crime books, with great plots, great twist and something at stake in the end that makes all the crime story worthwhile. These stories are driven by a great plot, but they are especially driven by their protagonists. Through these stories you are going to meet new people that you will soon know really well: it doesn’t mean they are nice people, it doesn’t mean you will approve of their actions or motivations, but it means you will remember them for a long time. Because you will care about them. 

perfume-194x300.jpg

Perfume, by Patrick Suskind

Perfume is a crime novel by Daniel Suskind, originally written in German. This masterpiece is probably one of the most brilliant crime stories of our times. It tells the story of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille a young man in Paris who has an incredible talent for recognizing smells. But quickly, and because of this very specific talent, Grenouille will become a murderer… What is absolutely amazing about this book is not only the crime story and the plot but the way smells are described all along the book. Smells that sometimes become almost real… A must read!

the-wolf-and-the-watchman-9781501196775_

1793 (The Wolf and the Watchman), by Niklas Matt Och Dag 

1793 is the first book of a recently published trilogy, followed by 1794 and 1795. It is the work of an amazing Swedish author, Niklas Matt Och Dag, who tells three stories set in Stockholm (and around) in the 1790s. 1793, the first book, tells the investigation of a murder by a judge and a former soldier after a body is found in the water near Stockholm. The talent of Matt Och Dag is to describe brilliantly the atmosphere and the ambiance of Stockholm at that time and it is also to explore the human souls, embarking the readers in a dark but breathtaking journey. 1793 is one of my favourite books in recent years.

horrora-185x300.jpeg

Horrora borealis, by Nicolas Feuz

Nicolas Feuz is THE new voice of Swiss crime novels. For the last few years his success keeps on growing. His books are thrilling, hooking, sometimes dark but terrific! Nicolas Feuz is himself an attorney for the state of Neuchâtel, in Switzerland, so he definitely know what he talks about. In his book Horrora Borealis, one of my favorite of his, two stories will cross paths: first, in Neuchâtel (Switzerland), in an open air concert, a hostage crisis is taking place… second, a few years before, in Laponia, a few thousands miles up north from Neuchâtel, a vacation will turn into hell… What happened in Laponia for the hostage crisis to take place? 

pledge-197x300.jpg

La promesse (The Pledge), by Friedrich Durrenmatt

La promesse is one of the most famous books of world famous Swiss author Friedrich Durrnematt. It tells the story of Mathieu, a policeman investigating the murder of a little girl. The policeman is about to leave for Jordan and this investigation should be his last one… but unable to find the murderer, and after pledging he would do anything to find him, Mathieu is going to become obsessed with the murder and will do anything to resolve it, at any cost, even giving his own life… The Pledge has an interesting history : it was first a movie scenario, co-written by Durrenmatt, who then decided to make it as a novel. This book has also been adapted for the screen by Sean Penn, starring Jack Nicholson and Robin Wright.

dragon-du-202x300.jpg

Marc Voltenauer, Le dragon du Muveran

Another and wonderful Swiss crime story. A police officer, Andreas Auer, who works in Lausanne but lives in a nice and small village in the mountains, has to investigate a series of terrible murders that are taking place in this charming place. The contrast between the murders and the beautiful Swiss panorama will take you through a thrilling investigation.

Marc Voltenauer had a first and important success with this novel. The police officer Andreas Auer became then a recurrent character for his very enjoyable crime books.

enigma-199x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES