The Rec League: American Victorian Romances

The Rec League - heart shaped chocolate resting on the edge of a very old bookThis Rec League is from Rosemary. Thanks, Rosemary!

I recently began being a docent at an historical Victorian museum. It’s a home restored to it’s period, built in 1871. The other volunteers want to start a book club. I was hoping for some recommendations for American Victorian era romances. I think I may know of three and two of those are Christmas stories. Any ideas? Thanks!

Amanda: The Heiress Gets a Duke isn’t set in America, but the heroine is American and her family runs a successful ironworks business and those operations are pretty central to the plot!

The Night Circus
A | BN | K | AB
Lara: Could there be an honourable mention for Miss Scarlet and the Duke, the TV series?

Amanda: Sure!

Sarah: I think The Night Circus may qualify?

The Forgotten Room also works.

Claudia: Oh the Felicia Grossman books are all set in the U.S. in the 1870s/1880s.

And also a lot of Beverly Jenkins. As I understand the request, though, the person would be more interested in late Victorian? If we are going to be sticklers, the era spanned 1837 through 1901.

Kiki: Would Joanna Shupe’s Gilded Age books work?

Or is this when we learn that Kiki has no idea when the gilded age was…?

Claudia: No, you are right! 1870s through 1890s/1900.

Tara: If they’re okay with more frontier type and f/f, Jae’s Backwards to Oregon ( A | BN | K | G | AB ) is great as is Alaskan Bride by D. Jordan Redhawk. ( A | BN | G | AB )

Which books would you recommend? Tell us below!

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days