Seasonal Oreos and Books

It’s time in the northern hemisphere!

You know, when the days get shorter, the temperature at night drops to a level that annihilates all the bugs that want to bite me, and….

The SEASONAL FLAVORS have ARRIVED!

Let’s start with the one that’s in my house:

Pumpkin Spice Flavor Creme Oreos

That’s right, PUMPKIN. SPICE. OREOS.

Please note: any and all disparagement of pumpkin spice is not necessary.

Please also note: I did NOT get to try one of these, but I am told by my younger child, who pursues all the seasonal flavors of Oreo with gleeful determination, that they are “really good.”

When asked how to describe them, the reply was,

Turn pumpkin pie filling into icing, and slap it between two crispy snickerdoodles.

So, let’s say that you’ve found a package at your local purveyor of seasonal cookies. You need a book to go with your cookies!

What books do we pair with this flavor? Shana, Amanda, and I are here to help!

The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches
A | BN | K | AB
The Duke Who Didn’t
A | BN | K | AB
The Dead Romantics
A | BN | K | AB

Sarah: For pumpkin spice Oreos, I’d pair a fine stack of four with The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna. It’s cozy, sweet, and a little spicy, and very good indeed.

Shana: Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites and I wait all year for pumpkin season (even though canned pumpkin means pies could be made year round). So I’d pair these with The Duke Who Didn’t by Courtney Milan.

The couple in this book has waited a long time to get together, perhaps unnecessarily. Pumpkin spice has a reputation for being basic, but it’s actually complex. The relationship catalyst in Milan’s book is the launch of a British sauce recipe, and the story made me rethink my dismissal of British sauces and chutneys as boring and simplified. The book made me really hungry, just like reading about these Oreos!

Amanda: I’m not super big on pumpkin pie (however pumpkin spiced coffee drinks are another story – love those!).

I think of something a little witchy as pumpkin reminds me of the transition from the end of October into November as we start the Thanksgiving prep, but of course, with a focus on gathering and family time.

My vote for this one goes to The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston.

Next up, a flavor that isn’t necessarily seasonal but I find more easily in the fall:

Carrot cake oreos which are light brown cookies with a light creme center

Carrot Cake Oreos!

Amanda says these are delicious. They’re less sweet than the other two, I think.

Amanda: Whenever Sarah sends me mail, there’s always a little snack included. I think we were Twitch streaming and she was talking about the abomination that are Carrot Cake Oreos and I jokingly said to send them over. Next thing I know, I have a ziploc baggie with oreos inside arriving on my doorstep. It felt like some illicit drug deal.

There’s definitely some spice to them, but what I remember most is the cream-cheese style filling. Less sweeter than the original creme filling. I think this would be a great option for someone who finds a regular Oreo to be too sweet.

So: what book do we pair with this one, y’all?

The Perfect Crimes of Marian Hayes
A | BN | K | AB
Fake It Till You Bake It
A | BN | K
Drunk on All Your Strange New Words
A | BN | K | AB

Sarah: I’d pair this book with The Perfect Crimes of Marian Hayes by Cat Sebastian. This book is cunning, fun, diverting, and there are some elements that I did not expect but really appreciated. I think the carrot cake Oreos are a little unexpected, too.

Shana: These would make me want cake, so I’d pair them with Fake It Till You Bake It by Jamie Wesley. There’s a cupcakery owning hero, and some strong enemies to lovers flavor.

Amanda: I’m not going to go with a romance with for this. Instead, I want to suggest a kooky whodunnit – Drunk on All Your Strange New Words by Eddie Robson.

It’s unassuming on the surface, but is a fun, new sci-fi take on a locked-room mystery with some wholesome characters.

And finally, our most elusive seasonal flavor.

apple cider donut oreos with red maple leaves and donuts on the front of the package

My younger child loves these, and we haven’t found them in a while. They’re more than a limited edition. They’re rare.

He describes them as “Heaven.” “God’s gift to earth.”

Specifically: “Apple cider donut Oreos are like cinnamon cookies dunked in the flavor of apple cider, then y’know. Icing Texture.”

They are his absolute faves, and we haven’t scored a package yet this year. Fingers crossed!

I have no knowledge of what these taste like. If they arrive in the house, they disappear very quickly. But what books can we pair with this elusive, deeply enjoyable flavor?

Greener Pastures
A | BN
Bittersweet
A | BN | K | AB

Sarah: That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Demon by Kimberly Lemming. This was such a rare find: funny, immersive fantasy with a fantastic heroine in a familiar fantasy plot.

Plus, the heroine’s name is Cinnamon, and she loves cheese enough to yell about it in the first few pages. Like I said, a rare find.

Shana: Oooh, these sound good! I would pair them with Greener Pastures by Aurora Rey. One of the heroines runs an apple orchard and makes hard cider. She has a serious sweet tooth too.

Amanda: Anything with apples, I have to suggest Bittersweet by Sarina Bowen.

New England. Orchards. Come on! Anything with apple cider flavors definitely makes me think of fall in my area. My partner and I are going to attempt an apple cider donut tour of New England and I’m very excited.

What about you? Do you have a seasonal favorite in the flavor department, or do you too seek the experience of the apple cider donut Oreo? What book would you pair with a stack of cookies?

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic