A List of Feminist Thrillers

feminist-thrillers.jpeg

I first heard the term “feminist thriller” a year or so ago. Oh! I thought, because it was, to me, at that time, a novel and intriguing descriptor. I thought how much I would love to write a feminist thriller myself. Then, I began to consider what “feminist thriller” truly meant, and I very much hoped that I had already done so with my debut novel, The Favor, which was described by Kirkus Reviews as “an unnerving feminist retake on Strangers on a Train.”

My goal with the book was to explore the endemic nature of intimate partner violence, to demonstrate that intimate partner violence can reach women with any level of education or affluence. Specifically, The Favor focuses on survivors of professional abusers, meaning individuals who possess specific skills and expertise, which may afford them a high level of credibility. I wanted to show that leaving an abusive relationship could be the most dangerous time for a survivor, when an abuser feels control slipping away, and that survival and safety, even for someone who seems to have access to resources, is far more complicated and hard-fought than simply walking out the door.

“Feminist thriller” very likely means something different to different people. It is by no means a new sub-genre in a rich array of thrillers and domestic suspense books, but perhaps its use as a classifier is relatively new. As I contemplated the category, I discovered that I would describe many of my favorite books as feminist thrillers.

To me, a feminist thriller explores the experiences of women in the real world. It is a taut and suspenseful read which is also dotted with social commentary about issues women are facing. It might criticize systems that so often work against us, and the characters may resort to vigilante justice in the face of such systems. In life, so much crime is motivated by a hatred for, resentment toward, or desire to dominate women. I think that in feminist thrillers, protagonists take a stand against this sort of crime. They become survivors. A feminist thriller might focus on women helping women, whether it be doing a favor, or keeping a secret. Its characters exemplify the remarkable strength of mothers, of women in general, who not only survive, but thrive, despite all obstacles in their way.

So many incredible books from the last few years could be described as feminist thrillers. Here are some of my favorites, based on my definition of the term:

9781250319494-197x300.jpg the-husbands-197x300.jpg

Whisper Network and The Husbands by Chandler Baker

Perhaps the reigning queen of the feminist thriller, Chandler Baker has written two of my favorites—Whisper Network and The Husbands. Whisper Network is told from the points of view of four women working at Truviv, an athletics company in Dallas. The whispers surrounding their predator boss become too loud to ignore when he’s up for promotion to CEO of the company. Whisper Network is a thrilling #MeToo novel that is full of secrets and twists and turns, but I love it most for its rich social commentary on working life for women and, in particular, mothers.

Similarly, The Husbands, described as a reverse Stepford Wives, is a feminist thriller that was, for me, suspenseful, touching, commiseratory, yet also laugh-out-loud amusing. The book is about Nora Spangler, a successful attorney who finds herself handling the lion’s share of the burdens at home—the so-called “second shift.” Nora and her family come upon a community called Dynasty Ranch in their search for a new home. In Dynasty Ranch, the husbands share, if not handle the majority of, the second shift. Nora soon finds that the secret behind this reality for the Dynasty Ranch families may be one worth killing for.

The-Missing-Hours-194x300.jpeg

The Missing Hours by Julia Dahl

Claudia Castro is a seemingly privileged college student. Following a night of partying, Claudia goes missing. Working to piece together what happened, Claudia understands that if she wants justice for the crimes committed against her, she’ll have to handle it herself. In this novel about privilege, obsession, and vigilante justice, Julia Dahl explores important feminist issues surrounding sexual assault.

The-Wife-199x300.jpg

The Wife by Alafair Burke

Alafair Burke’s The Wife is, for me, as much a story about the relationship between a mother and her daughter as it is a #MeToo novel. Angela’s comfortable marriage to Jason, an economics professor and bestselling author, is turned upside down when an intern accuses him of sexual harassment. This accusation is followed by another by a woman named Kerry Lynch. Kerry then disappears, and The Wife tells the story of how Angela, and the people surrounding her, handle these accusations against Jason, which cause Angela to question everything she thought she knew about the man she had married.

The-Damage-199x300.jpeg

The Damage by Caitlin Wahrer

The Damage is simply an incredibly written and plotted thriller by former attorney Caitlin Wahrer. The book focuses on the family of Tony, whose younger brother Nick suffers a violent sexual assault. The ripples from this horrible assault flow through the family members, as Tony is pulled by his duty to his wife, Julia, and his children, and by his desire to protect and seek justice for his little brother. In addition to the remarkably compassionate and riveting manner it handles themes of sexual assault, The Damage becomes a feminst thriller for me in the way that the novel, through Julia, deftly considers what justice means, and how it can and cannot intersect with being a wife, a mother, a lawyer, and a “good person.”

The-Perfect-Girl-197x300.jpeg

The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan

Gilly Macmillian’s thrillers always include such emotional depth. In The Perfect Girl, our feminist hero is Zoe, only seventeen years old, and that’s what I love so much about the book. Zoe is a musical prodigy with a tragic past that isn’t what it seems. She performs on the piano one evening, then returns home with her family. By the end of the evening, her mother is dead, leaving Zoe to unravel what happened, while grappling with the revelation of her past. Most importantly to Zoe, she must protect her baby sister. Zoe’s strength in the face of these horrors, and the actions she takes make The Perfect Girl a feminist thriller for me.

Baltimore-Blues-199x300.jpeg

Every Tess Monaghan book by Laura Lippman

Laura Lippman’s protagonist, Private Investigator Tess Monaghan, is, to put it simply, a badass. She is strong, sharp, and smart, all of which is only exemplified once she becomes a mother. I can’t help but feel that any book in which she is prominently featured—Lipman has written thirteen so far—is innately feminist.

What does “feminist thriller” mean to you, and what are your favorites?

The-Favor-197x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES