6 Thrillers That Will Fool the Most Seasoned Readers

shock-feat1.jpg

My love for twists started at a young age when I cracked open my first Lois Duncan novel. I couldn’t believe the thrill I could get from reading a book, nor how exciting it was to follow along with a story while making my own predictions as to how it would end. Then I started encountering the ‘knock you off your feet’ twists in books and in film. You know? The twist that leaves your jaw hanging open, that has you questioning how you didn’t see it coming, or how the writer pulled it off. I’ve always been a reader that picks up on the clues carefully laid out and the red herrings that were tossed in to pique my suspicion, so when a twist comes along that I don’t see coming, it truly is special.

As a thriller author, I also know how hard it is to pull off a twist. There’s a fine balance between leaving enough clues and hints, but not too many. There’s also the skill of delivering a twist that makes plausible sense, not something out of left field. Then, there’s timing. When do you hit the reader with the jaw-dropping moment to have the biggest impact—while also feeling it was earned?

When I wrote my debut novel, The Perfect Marriage, I knew I wanted to attempt to produce that ‘knock you off your feet twist’ that I had grown to love as a reader. I spent a great deal of time refining and finessing clues, red herrings, and suspects to ensure everything was in place to deliver a well-crafted and shocking twist. For my upcoming suspense novel, One of Us is Dead, I knew I needed to live up to the big twist that readers and fans of my debut novel loved. So, I found myself rewriting the ending many times in order to land on the most surprising yet earned conclusion.

It’s a fun experience crafting a twist, but it’s even more fun to read a twist that throws you completely off guard. In no particular order, here are the six thrillers that I believe will fool even the most seasoned readers.

The_Murder_of_Roger_Ackroyd_First_Editio

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

I can’t possibly write up a list of thrillers that shocked me without mentioning the ‘Queen of Mystery’, Agatha Christie. Taking place in a small English village, Hercule Poirot is called to investigate a murder. He asks Dr. Shepherd, a local doctor to assist him in the investigation. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was a trailblazer in the mystery genre, breaking all the rules of traditional mysteries, and it remains a classic in crime fiction. The dazzling plot and flawless execution lead to a clever and shocking ending. Although, there are clues, you will not guess who the murderer is. Even when it’s revealed, you will not believe it. Even when everything is laid out, you will still exclaim, “No way!”.

i-let-you-go-200x300.jpg

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

Jenna is desperate to escape from her past after a tragic hit-and-run accident and starts over in a new town, but she is haunted by the grief and the memories of the tragedy. I Let You Go is told via multiple points of view, creating a well-executed and engrossing thriller where nothing is as it seems. You’ll think you know exactly what is going on—that is until a huge plot twist smacks you right in the face, leaving you scrambling to pick up the clues and figure out where the story could possibly be going. But Mackintosh is not done with you yet. The thrills, reveals, and twists keep on coming until the very last page.

finding-tessa-196x300.jpeg

Finding Tessa by Jaime Lynn Hendricks

Jace and Tessa appear to be a loving couple but looks can be deceiving. One night, Tessa goes missing—intentionally in order to escape her abusive husband. But can she also hide from her past? The story is told in alternating points of view from Tessa and Jace. And you’ll think you know what’s going on, but you don’t. Although this sounds like a familiar story, this isn’t one you’ve read before. Finding Tessa hit me with a twist I didn’t see coming. Literally, I was speechless. As a result, I spent the rest of the novel refiguring all my theories.

The-Kind-Worth-Killing-199x300.jpg

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

When Ted and Lily meet on a flight, it seems like just a random, friendly encounter—that is until Ted reveals his wife is cheating on him and jokes that he could kill her. Lily immediately offers to help him, after all, a lying, cheating spouse is the kind worth killing. After that, all hell breaks loose and it’s an action-packed, twisty ride in this novel that I would deem a “perfect thriller.” Just when you think you know what’s going on, Swanson throws you for a loop over and over again, playing you like a fool. You’ll be mouthing ‘WTF’ many, many times.

theone.jpeg

The One by John Marrs

A simple DNA test will match you to your soulmate, the person you were genetically made for. Five couples have been “Matched” but in this compelling and addictive suspense thriller, romance takes a backseat… no, it actually doesn’t even have a seat. The One is full of gasp-worthy moments, more than I could count. At one point, I stopped guessing what was going to happen next, because I knew I couldn’t predict it, and I just wanted to be along for the crazy ride.

Never Let You Go Chevy Stevens

Never Let You Go by Chevy Stevens

Lindsay escapes with her young daughter, leaving behind her abusive relationship. Her ex-husband, Andrew, is sent to jail and she starts her life over. Flash forward eleven years—Andrew’s released and tracks down his family, wanting to reconnect with his teenage daughter because he claims he’s a changed man. However, things begin to go awry. There’s a break-in, someone is messing with Lindsay, and she feels she’s being watched. Could her ex be the one behind everything? Is it time for her to run again? Stevens weaves a well-written story, laced with many twists and turns throughout. Just as you’re given a breadcrumb of a clue as to who could be behind everything, another clue leads you in a different direction. Even when you think you’ve figured it out, you probably didn’t.

What thrillers have you read that have surprised and shocked you in the best way possible?

one-of-us-is-dead-187x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES