What to Stream This October: Crime Movies So Scary They’re Almost Horror

M-Slider.jpg

Welcome to the CrimeReads Streaming Guide, where we spotlight a very specific category of crime movies we think you should be watching right now.

It’s October! The season of woolen garments, fun-sized candy, and scary movies. But this is a crime website, so rather than tell you about a bunch of straight-up scary movies to stream this month, I’m going to suggest a bunch of scary movies that are NOT horror movies! Yes that’s right… no supernatural hoopla here, folks. Just some good, old-fashioned villains whose behavior does not tip the scales towards slashers or horror tropes. No vengeful ghosts, no knife-wielding masked trespassers, no nightmarish visions of any kind. Not even a single mild-mannered-motel-owner-leading-a-murderous-double-life-as-his-dead-mother. (Like the readers of this website need me to direct them to Psycho anyway.)

Look, this category is hard. There are a lot of films that come close. Is The Silence of the Lambs simply too scary? Is Diabolique not scary enough? Is American Psycho too bloody? Is Don’t Look Now too supernatural? Is Monster too traumatic? Does Fatal Attraction combine horror with romantic suspense rather than crime?

Anyway, we had a few ideas. Here are some very satisfying scary crime movies that are not really, really horror movies, probably. (Otherwise known as the David Fincher collection.)

Panic Room (2002)

Panic-room.jpg

Jodie Foster and a young Kristen Stewart star in this David Fincher movie about a mother and her (lookalike) daughter forced to hide in their new home’s safe room when three men break in. Not only is this classic Foster, it’s also a welcome entrant into a subgenre we like, “Diabetes Noir.”

Where to stream for free: Showtime, Hulu + Showtime, Amazon Prime

Wait Until Dark (1967)

waituntildark-feat.jpg

Based on the play by Frederick Knott, this dark and extremely suspenseful film stars Audrey Hepburn as Suzy Hendrix, a recently blinded woman whose husband Sam (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.) winds up bringing a doll full of heroin into their apartment. But several men (Alan Arkin and my mother’s favorite character actor Richard Crenna) are after the drug shipment, and wind up entering her home to search for it. And not only does she have to figure out what’s going on, while she can’t see, but she also has to survive.

Where to stream for free: HBO Max

Memories of Murder (2003)

Memories-of-Murder.jpg

Bong Joon-ho’s masterpiece about South Korea’s first serial killer case is often considered one of the best films ever made. Ever.

Where to stream for free: Hulu

Zodiac (2008)

zodiac.jpg

A favorite of CrimeReads Editor-in-Chief Dwyer Murphy, Zodiac emphasizes the crime-solving process enough to keep the film from tetering over into horror. It’s scary. It’s so scary. But it’s also a film about methodical research, and that saves the day, blood-pressure-wise.

Where to stream for free: Netflix, Paramount +, YouTube, Amazon Prime

Night of the Hunter (1955)

The-Night-of-the-Hunter.jpg

I will never, never shut up about Charles Laughton’s only film, a masterpiece about a psychopathic serial-killer and self-appointed preacher (Robert Mitchum, always great, never better), who, when he gets out of jail, becomes obsessed with finding the money hidden by his lately-executed bank robber former-cellmate—a secret which is kept by the robber’s two young children. TELL ME this is not the most eye-widening plot you’ve ever heard.

Where to stream for free: Hulu

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Shadow-of-a-Doubt.jpg

My high school AP US History teacher Mr. O’Neill heartily recommended that I watch this earlyish-career Hitchcock movie, about a teenage girl (Teresa Wright) who becomes suspicious that her beloved Uncle Charley (Joseph Cotten) is a murderer, after he visits her family in their idyllic California town. It’s really excellent—Mr. O’Neill was correct.

Where to stream for free: HBO Max, Hulu + HBO

M (1931)

M-Lorre.png

Fritz Lang’s masterpiece about the manhunt for Berlin’s serial child-killer Hans Beckert (Peter Lorre) will stop your heart. The opening scene just might make you faint.

Where to stream for free: HBO Max

Se7en (1995)

Se7en.jpg

Like Zodiac, Se7en is also about the investigation to find a serial killer, but it is also way scarier. Maybe it shouldn’t even be on this list. I don’t know. Enjoy lying awake at night for the rest of your life.

Where to stream for free:

Showtime, Hulu + Showtime

The Vanishing (1988)

The-Vanishing.png

There are few non-horror movies MORE terrifying than George Sluizer’s Swedish film about two young lovers who go on a road trip and wind up tangling with a psychopath interested in conducting an experiment about his own limits. You’ll never be the same again.

Where to stream (it’s not for free, but it is worth it): Apple TV, Amazon Prime

Further reading about…

Books that intertwine horror and crime

Stephen King, noir writer

If you like…

Films that blur the line between noir and horror

Literary fiction that pretends to be horror

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES