As a writer, I usually get asked "Which portion of writing a book is the most difficult?" - whether it's the beginning, middle, or conclusion — I generally respond, "Everything." Sometimes, I will expand and say explain why a portion of a novel has its own set of difficulties: for example, Middles are difficult to plot, and endings must answer to the promises you made throughout the book, but the beginning of a novel is the most difficult to plot. If I had to pick, learning how to create a decent hook would be the most difficult thing I've ever encountered. 

Today, people want immediate gratification. They want everything all at once and not the cerebral revelation. We have short attention spans, and a plethora of other excellent fiction to compete with. So, the opening of a novel must capture the reader's interest right away. 

Other than the hook, the preparation it takes to write a novel is the hardest. Please enjoy this article, Best 10 Steps for Starting the Novel, by Michael Neff. 

https://algonkianconferences.com/authorconnect/index.php?/topic/15631-best-10-steps-for-starting-the-novel-all-genres/&tab=comments#comment-23924

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days