My kids went back to school in person this week. It has been a time of setting new routines and schedules and a brand new normal. I forgot what it was like to wake up at five-thirty so the kids could be at the bus stop by six-thirty. They forgot too. They also forgot how loud the hallways were and how they had to walk from the basement of the high school to the third floor in two minutes between classes. Nobody ate dinner after the first day back to school. They fell asleep by seven. 

As much as we craved going back to our new normal, I can say with certainty it was confusing, it was tumultuous, and sometimes traumatic. Confusion in our life is really upsetting to us. We experience tension, frustration, and become shut down, overwhelmed, and resort to distractions and comforts pervading all parts of our life. It pushes us off track. 

I don’t know about you, but it makes me quite anxious. When that happens, I find it hard to maintain a writing routine regardless of whether I want to live in a harmonious atmosphere or not. I need that harmonious flow and resist the temptation to improvise, even though it is hard to do at times. If I don’t, I find that my balance of my writing schedule mimics the structure of my writing. Faulty routines yield faulty chapters which hold faulty paragraphs and so on.  

I hope this article, Making Sure Your Chapter Has Structure, by Margo Dill will serve as a guide as we all get back to our new routines and find our writing balance.  

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic