I don’t watch a lot of television. I write and I read, but my wife told me I should watch American Horror Story and Nine Perfect Strangers because they featured writers and imposter syndrome. I looked up from my computer screen, cocked my head to the side, and gave it a whirl. Now I can’t get either out of my head. We, as writers, knew imposter syndrome was a force to contend with, but these stories bring it to a new level. 

If you don’t know what Imposter Syndrome is, it's essentially the sense of not being accepted, the feeling of being a fraud. For authors like us, we feel we are not truly writers and that when we use the name “writer”, we feel it’s a fabrication. It is a deliberate and self-inflicted attack on our writing confidence. We feel that something has gone horribly wrong. We are not legitimate writers, and we have no business being among others who consider themselves writers. 

It impacts all of us. I found this great article that breaks down the five types of imposter syndrome. It’s a lot to get into but you can find it here:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40421352/the-five-types-of-impostor-syndrome-and-how-to-beat-them

I recently attended a conference on the 7 Mindsets of Social Emotional Learning and the take away applied to all of us as writers as we view ourselves and how we should approach each other who are going through imposter syndrome. They are:

• Everything is Possible: Dream big, embrace creativity and expect results

• Passion First: Pursue your authentic talents and deepest interests

• We Are Connected: Explore the synergies in all relationships and learn to empower one another

• 100% Accountable: Choose to be responsible for your own happiness and success

• Attitude of Gratitude: Seek positives from every experience and be thankful for all you have

• Live to Give: Inspire and serve others while maximizing your potential

• The Time is Now:

• Harness the power of this moment, and take purposeful action today

I think this article by Margaret Dilloway, How to Overcome Imposter Syndrome As A Writer, embodies it perfectly. I hope you enjoy and share your thoughts.

https://writerunboxed.com/2016/05/13/how-to-overcome-imposter-syndrome-as-a-writer/

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days