Reclaiming My Enjoyment of Reading

124680807_10217208331111539_524405554229

Nothing like a worldwide pandemic to make even reading feel impossible. I don't know about you, but somehow over the last couple of years, I lost my love of reading. Like a former relationship, I knew the love had been there once upon a time, but somehow I wasn't feeling that same passion anymore.

Luckily, I wasn't alone. I came across countless articles written by my fellow bookworms, bemoaning their loss of reading. (Here's one.)

Instead of fighting it, I accepted it. It wasn't like I didn't try to find the right book for me, but I didn't beat myself over it. 

Jump ahead to 2021. Oh look, the pandemic is still here. Then came a heatwave. Several days of humid 90s, and itching for something new, I perused Netgalley and my local library (their e-book app) for a book. Hungrily, I looked over the books, desperate for something to distract me.

And then something amazing happened. In the midst of my least favorite season, I reclaimed my love of books. 

I started out with reading a thriller called The Couple Upstairs. I was soon knee deep in the drama and read the book over the course of a few days. And since then, my enjoyment of books is back with me again.

If you are struggling with enjoying a book, I have a few pieces of advice. First, be picky. Very picky. If a book doesn't interest you, ditch it. Treat it like dating, don't read a book just because you feel sorry for it. It's not you, it's the book. Second, read genres you enjoy. Throw away the "step outside of your comfort zone" advice and nestle into that familiar nook you love. Lastly, consider things like graphic novels, audio books, and even young adult books (or younger). These formats can appeal to you in a way that surprise you. 

Enjoying books again is wonderful and if you lost your love due to the stress, give yourself time. It will come back again.

[url={url}]View the full article[/url]

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days