In These Cozy Mysteries, Furry Sidekicks Are the Real Stars

furry-sidekicks.jpg

For me, summer is a perfect time for a deep dive into mystery, especially cozies. As a traditional mystery writer, I love the puzzle at the heart of a cozy—the twistier, the better.

But a good cozy is much more than just that puzzle. What makes the cozy mystery genre such a delight is that it’s about the things we enjoy—good food, beautiful (or at least interesting) locations, beautiful things, good books, great friends, family. Yeah, okay, there’s that dead body in there that messes up the character’s enjoyment of all these wonderful things, but we’ll work on that.

Then there’s the pets. Since pets are a major part of family life — even when that family is one person living on their own — pets are also a major part of the cozy genre. Who doesn’t love meeting a new, friendly animal, full of personality? And if they can help clear up that mess about the dead body, so much the better!

So, today, I’m sharing some of my favorite books with animal sidekicks as major characters. Grab your favorite cool beverage, climb into the hammock or stretch out in the lounge chair, and enjoy the furry fun!

A-Nights-Tail-191x300.jpeg

The Magical Cats Series by Sofie Kelly

As a long-time Barry Manilow listener (don’t judge), I have a particular fondness for this series. They say that rescued animals make the best pets, but when librarian and Manilow fan Kathleen Paulson finds herself adopted by Owen and Hercules two adorable cats, she also finds she’s taken on more than she bargained for. A catnip addiction is one thing, but…magic? Fortunately, cat magic and mayhem turn out to be very useful when there’s a murder to solve.

The-Sign-of-Four-212x300.jpeg

The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

This classic is not only Sherlock Holmes at his absolute best, but it introduces us to the unforgettable Toby, the mangy, odiferous hound with a nose as brilliant as the wits of the world’s only consulting detective.

Collared-194x300.jpeg

The Gin & Tonic Investigations by L.A. Kornetsky

He’s a dog person. She’s a cat person. Together, they, and the pets, solve crime. There’s currently only four books in this series, which is a darned shame if you ask, me because Collared had me from the opening line. It does, however, make these books perfect for a summer binge with a cool adult beverage.

Twelve-Angry-Librarians-199x300.jpeg

The Cat in the Stacks Series by Miranda James

You could probably do an entire list just on cat and library/bookshop mysteries (and if anybody does, please sign me up for that!), but I’m limiting myself to two for this list. And believe me, it wasn’t easy to pick them. Miranda James, however, creates a consistently entertaining human-feline duo in Charlie and Deisel, and she’s a sure hand at a satisfying mystery for them to solve.

Double-Booked-For-Death-186x300.jpeg

Double Booked for Death by Ali Brandon

This is our second cat-in-the-bookstore series. I loved the mystery and the atmosphere, but I’ll admit I took a liking to the series because the cat in question, Hamlet, was not a sweet darling. In fact, Hamlet reminded me a lot of my irascible Siamese, Isis. Only as far as I know, Isis never helped solve a murder.

Much-Ado-About-Nauticaling-200x300.jpeg

Much Ado About Nauticaling by Gabby Allan

This is the first in the new “Whit and Whiskers” series. I really enjoyed Allan’s descriptions of the hustle it takes to make a living in the tourist trade, in this case, on Santa Catalina Island. Plus we get an unpleasant rich guy, a romance, and a bit for a cat…

Bookmarked-for-Murder.jpeg

The Dog Club Mysteries by V.M. Burns

V.M. Burns is one of those authors where I’d recommend pretty much everything she writes. She’s got style, humor, and writes an absorbing mystery with entertaining characters. For this list, I’m recommending her Dog Club Mysteries, with the adorable lead poodle Aggie, named for Agatha Christie.

The-Silence-of-the-Chihuahuas-184x300.jp

The Barking Detective Mysteries by Waverly Curtis

Clever cozy mysteries starring an adorable talking chihuahua. Do I really need to say more?

Mimi-Lee-Gets-A-Clue-by-Jennifer-Chow-20

Mimi Lee Gets a Clue by Jennifer Chow

Speaking of talking animals, how about a talking cat? One with all the tact and empathy you’d expect from a Los Angeles based feline? Chow’s Sassy Cat mysteries are all that and a bag of treats. The dialogue is wonderful and the mystery is thoroughly absorbing.

Silent-Bite-199x300.jpeg

The Andy Carpenter Mysteries, David Rosenfelt

These tightly plotted mysteries were something of a surprise for me. The majority of pet-sidekick mysteries are cozies, and these are definitely not. But fast-talking, too-cagey-for-his-own-good New York lawyer Andy Carpenter would be lost without his golden retriever, Tara.

The-Big-Chili-186x300.jpeg

The Big Chili by Julia Buckley

Julia Buckley is a fabulous cozy writer, and I’d recommend you check out anything she’s written. But here, I’m going to give a shout out to her Undercover Dish series. We’ve got an adorable chocolate lab sidekick and a stealth catering business. I’d say it was all my catnip, but this one’s about a dog…

The-Pomeranian-Always-Barks-Twice-183x30

The Pomeranian Always Barks Twice by Alex Erickson

This one does not strictly fall under the animal sidekick category, but I’m adding it here because I enjoyed it so much. We’ve got a family pet rescue business, a pushy rival rescue, and a murder that implicate one of the children. The delights and frustrations of life with a herd of high-maintenance animals and a flock of grown children make for a really entertaining read around a solid mystery.

murder-always-barks-twice-186x300.jpeg

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES