HaBO: In Search of a Medieval Romance

This HaBO is from Beth, who wants to find an older medieval romance title:

There is a book that I read probably 20 years ago, somewhere around 2000. It was one of many high school-aged me read. . . probably shoved under the bed so my mom wouldn’t find it. For some reason, this one sticks in my memory and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I don’t remember much, but there are a few things that I hope I haven’t distorted beyond recognizability.

It was medieval. It started with a castle under siege. The invading army (not sure if vikings or knights) was breaching the castle at the beginning. I think the heroine was about to be mistreated as a spoil of war when the alpha hero comes across her. From what I recall, he essentially claims her as his and she is now his prisoner/captive. Throughout the book, I’m sure he mistreats her and she falls madly in love with him. As far as she knows, it’s unrequited.

The middle is the fuzziest in my memory. The book continues, she “earns” more freedoms, etc etc. Eventually toward the end, he has to ride off to fight somewhere else. She discovers . .. . something. Whatever it was (a trap?), she felt compelled to ride out and tell/save him. After she leaves the castle, she gets surrounded and captured by the bad guys. She has some scene where she basically tells them she is useless to them because the hero doesn’t care about her, although she is now willing to sacrifice everything for him. He, of course, was returning (because romance book) and overhears the whole thing, right before he then witnesses what he thinks is them killing her. He goes into a rage and then professes his undying love over her not-dead body. HEA

I CANNOT figure out what this is. Was probably written in the 80s or 90s?

I feel like this was a lot of medieval romance plots, but perhaps we can find the right one!

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic