Make Somebody's Day

These days--these days of wearing masks and trying to keep apart from each other and not living "normal" lives and living with a constant undercurrent of fear of a microscopic enemy--we all need help. A boost. A reason to smile.

This post began a while ago when I went to the bank. The drive-thru, since nobody gets IN the bank building these days...

(which makes me think of what a terrible time this is for bank robbers. I mean, they've been out of work for months. They're probably depressed, watching Jerry Springer instead of holding up bank tellers, because I imagine it's difficult to make an appointment to get into the bank... and then rob it.)

... Back to the bank drive-thru.

As I waited for the magical cylinder to drop down the chute, I glanced over at the person to the right of me. In fact, I glanced over several times. 

Apparently the teller said something humorous, because the woman in the car next to me laughed, and then smiled more than once during the conversation.

I thought, She has a great smile. Not a runway model smile. A genuine, quirky, dimpled smile. So that she didn't think I was a creeper or a Karen, I rolled the passenger window down and complimented her on her smile.

She smiled again and said, "You just made my day!"

Really? Is it really that easy to bring some joy into someone's life? And then I thought about it. Little things can have a big impact. And then I thought even more... on the things writer friends have done for me lately.

sparkler.webp
                                                                   image by Pixabay

Here are some ways you can make someone's day:

1. Offer to interview a writing friend--Linda O'Connell was so generous to interview me on her blog. Her questions made me think, and my book got some extra exposure.

2. Write a reveiw on Amazon or Barnes and Noble--I check occasionally nineteen times a day to see if there are any new reviews on my book. 

3. Volunteer to do a dental read-through. A dental critique is when the reader takes tiny picks and mirrors to look at the grammar, punctuation, potential tense problems and everything else.

4. Catch the sparkly gems in a writer's work--There are a couple of details in my brand new novel that only a few people will get. One friend sent her favorite lines from my book to her 700 followers. It makes all the time spent writing worthwhile.

5. Voluteer to be a beta reader--Writers need some feedback before a manuscript is sent out to agents and publishers. 

How about you? What have you done for a writing friend or what has been done for you? A grateful mind wants to know.

Sioux Roslawski is a middle-school teacher and a freelance writer. Her book, Greenwood Gone: Henry's Story, just debuted almost two weeks ago.

[url={url}]View the full article[/url]

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic