Foodie Fiction, V.E. Schwab, & More

I stumbled across this deal today and it made me grin so wide, I had to share it:

$60 Baby Yoda 6-Quart Instant Pot!

That’s 40% off – and it’s ILLUSTRATED with adorableness.

Check this out:

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Screen-Shot-2021-03-24-at-11.34.21-AM.png

I didn’t know that Baby Yoda decor choices were an option on an Instant Pot, but apparently YES.

I hope this makes you smile as much as it did me! And if you have a pressure-cooking Mandalorian fan in your midst, this is a heck of a discount.

Seriously, this has made my day.

Rosemary and Rue

B002N83HAW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire is $1.99 and a KDD! This is the first book in the October Daye urban fantasy series. Many readers loved the heroine and the setting McGuire created, while some expressed confusion at certain aspects of the world-building. Have you read this one?

October “Toby” Daye, a changeling who is half human and half fae, has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the Faerie world, retreating to a “normal” life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world has other ideas…

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening’s dying curse, which binds her to investigate, Toby must resume her former position as knight errant and renew old alliances. As she steps back into fae society, dealing with a cast of characters not entirely good or evil, she realizes that more than her own life will be forfeited if she cannot find Evening’s killer.

Add to Goodreads To-Read List →

You can find ordering info for this book here.

The Fearless King

B07DHKBVS5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Fearless King by Katee Robert is 99c! This is the second book in the Kings contemporary romance series, though I think it works as a standalone. This one also has a fake relationship! Readers say this one started off strong, but the heroine’s repetitive inner monologuing became tedious. It has a 3.8-star rating on Goodreads.

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Marriage Contract comes a sexy romance full of family secrets, riveting suspense, and a pretend boyfriend who makes one woman start to feel things that are all too real.

Journey King is an expert at managing the family business. But when her father returns to Houston hell-bent on making a play for the company, Journey will do anything to stop him, even if that means going to Frank Evans for help. Frank deals in information, the dirtier the better. Rugged and rock solid, he’s by far her best ally — and also the most dangerous.

Frank knows better than to get tangled up with the Kings. But something about Journey’s rare vulnerability drags him deep into enemy territory…and into her darkest past. Pretending to be her boyfriend may be necessary for their plan to work, but Frank soon finds helping Journey is much more than just another job – and he’ll do whatever it takes to keep her safe.

Delicious!

B00GL3PXAM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl is $1.99! I reviewed this one ages ago and gave it a B-. It’s a pretty fluffy book to spend an afternoon with but me and some of the commenters thought the epistolary side story was way more compelling. Have you read this?

In her bestselling memoirs Ruth Reichl has long illuminated the theme of how food defines us, and never more so than in her dazzling fiction debut about sisters, family ties, and a young woman who must finally let go of guilt and grief to embrace her own true gifts.

Billie Breslin has traveled far from her California home to take a job at Delicious, the most iconic food magazine in New York and, thus, the world. When the publication is summarily shut down, the colorful staff, who have become an extended family for Billie, must pick up their lives and move on. Not Billie, though. She is offered a new job: staying behind in the magazine’s deserted downtown mansion offices to uphold the “Delicious Guarantee”-a public relations hotline for complaints and recipe inquiries-until further notice. What she doesn’t know is that this boring, lonely job will be the portal to a life-changing discovery.

Delicious! carries the reader to the colorful world of downtown New York restaurateurs and artisanal purveyors, and from the lively food shop in Little Italy where Billie works on weekends to a hidden room in the magazine’s library where she discovers the letters of Lulu Swan, a plucky twelve-year-old, who wrote to the legendary chef James Beard during World War II. Lulu’s letters lead Billie to a deeper understanding of history (and the history of food), but most important, Lulu’s courage in the face of loss inspires Billie to come to terms with her own issues-the panic attacks that occur every time she even thinks about cooking, the truth about the big sister she adored, and her ability to open her heart to love.

This Savage Song

B013PKDS5A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab is $2.99! I know several people (my roommate included) who love Schwab’s writing and essentially will read anything she publishes. But while the description seems really original, some readers were disappointed by how generic it felt. Have you read this one? Let us know what you think in the comments!

There’s no such thing as safe in a city at war, a city overrun with monsters. In this dark urban fantasy from acclaimed author Victoria Schwab, a young woman and a young man must choose whether to become heroes or villains—and friends or enemies—with the future of their home at stake. The first of two books, This Savage Song is a must-have for fans of Holly Black, Maggie Stiefvater, and Laini Taylor.

Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city—a city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the innocent—but he’s one of the monsters. One who can steal a soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate, who’s just been kicked out of her sixth boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But Kate discovers August’s secret, and after a failed assassination attempt the pair must flee for their lives. In This Savage Song, Victoria Schwab creates a gritty, seething metropolis, one worthy of being compared to Gotham and to the four versions of London in her critically acclaimed fantasy for adults, A Darker Shade of Magic. Her heroes will face monsters intent on destroying them from every side—including the monsters within.

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic