Whatcha Reading? March 2021 Edition, Part One

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Depositphotos_49456069_original-1024x684.jpgWhew, buddy! It’s March. Is Spring springing where you are?

Let’s talk books!

Carrie: I’m finishing Gentleman Jim by Mimi Matthews. It’s beloved by many but I’m feeling kinda cranky about it.

Shana: I’m reading at sloth speed lately, so I think I’m reading the same books as last month. I did start a new audiobook, Laziness Does Not Exist by Devon Price. It’s already challenging my deeply held assumptions and I’m only on chapter 1.

I think Sneezy was reading it last month. How did it land for you?

Sneezy: I’m still working my way through. So far it still feels like putting on ointment on skin so dry it’s bleeding. As in, good, it’s obviously good, but also WHAT HAVE I EVER DONE TO YOU FOR YOU TO CALL ME OUT LIKE THIS????

Dark Archives
A | BN | K | AB
Sarah: So much of that book has hung out in my brain. I love how much Dr. Price’s writing carefully unravels SO MUCH of what I’ve never questioned about productivity and laziness.

I am reading Dark Archives by Megan Rosenbloom, a nonfiction study of anthropodermic bibliopegy, aka “books bound in human skin.” Several commenters, including Heather C and Claudia (The Other One) have mentioned this book, and WOW, it is seriously interesting. I am also about to start The Serpent Sea by Martha Wells, ( A | BN | K | AB ) book 3 in the Raksura series. I think Moon is a winged, clawed, sarcastic and clever proto-Murderbot, and I love the worldbuilding and the emotional uncertainty of the entire series.

Elyse: I’m reading The Heiress Hunt by Joanna Shupe. ( A | BN | K | AB )

Claudia: I’m in the middle of the mother of all reading slumps.

Knit, Purl, a Baby and a Girl
A | BN | K | AB
Tara: I’m going to do the rude thing where I talk about a book that isn’t out yet, but at least it’s out by the end of the month? I’m reading Knit, Purl, a Baby and a Girl by Hettie Bell. I’m only a third of the way through, but if you like the idea of an f/f romance with fat rep, knitting, friends with benefits, and a truly nonjudgemental dive into abortion vs opting to complete a pregnancy, this is the book for you!

In audio, I’m listening to Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood by Lisa Damour. ( A | BN | K | AB ) It was recommended to me by a good friend since my 9 year old is fully into her “I’M A TWEEN YOU, YOU KNOW” self. Some of it doesn’t apply yet, but I’m already finding it helpful.

Catherine: I am reading and rereading Paladin’s Strength by T. Kingfisher. ( A | BN | K | AB ) Haven’t been able to get into anything else for a while, but this one I got to the end and then flipped straight back to the beginning and started again. It is absolutely delightful – the romance itself is very sweet and fluffy, the characters are very down to earth and funny, and the fantasy plot and setting are thought provoking, and funny, and horrific, and sometimes tragic.

The Jade Temptress
A | BN | K | AB
Also, the consent in this one is fantastic, even if it does make for a slow burn that is verging on taunting the reader. Gotta love a hero who is a really big guy and who is aware that being a really big guy makes him kind of intimidating and so he has to be very careful that the woman he is with doesn’t feel like she can’t say know.
Such a lovely, lovely book. Despite all the severed heads.

Susan: I am mainlining Jeannie Lin’s Lotus Palace Mysteries right now, which are centred on a courtesan and her family in Tang Dynasty China. I’m in the middle of The Jade Temptress and I don’t know if I’m internally screaming more about the mystery or the romance.

I keep circling back to how this stoic, plain-spoken constable describes Mingyu as “beautiful as a goddess.” Out loud. With his face. To potential suspects. And then I have to shriek a little bit.

What are you reading? Let us know!

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic