Writing Hot Sex Scenes - Saints Preserve Us!

Like Kara, I also don’t write sex scenes. I tried once and failed spectacularly. After listening to Jenna Moreci’s advice I understand why! If you plan to write a sex scene, I wholeheartedly encourage you to watch this video. Jenna outlines ten tips to help writers with sex scenes and provides practical how-to advice. [MORE BELOW]

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not a writer of romance, nor is this a genre that I reach for at the bookstore, I can appreciate Jenna Moreci's advice. It sounded solid and down to earth. She really seems to know what she's talking about and her delivery is downright humorous. A few points she made that I very much agree with if you are going to commit to the task of writing sex scenes in your novel were:

Don't make sex sound gross. Be mindful of your adjectives.

Use sexy verbs.

What does this moment in the book mean for your characters on an emotional level.

Make sure the timing of these scenes come when they are appropriate in your story.

And, above all, understand how sex works!

If you are writing romance, or have a sex scene in your novel, I definitely recommend this video.

Like Kara, I also don’t write sex scenes. I tried once and failed spectacularly. After listening to Jenna Moreci’s advice I understand why! If you plan to write a sex scene, I wholeheartedly encourage you to watch this video. Jenna outlines ten tips to help writers with sex scenes and provides practical how-to advice. If you want to go there, Jenna shows you how.

On top of that, she’s super engaging and funny with great line after great line. I think my favorite is when she advises “…ramping up the heat and toning down the yuck.”  Also, the quality of the video is excellent and the graphics, delivery and editing are all top notch.