Are You Ready to Get Published? – Part 2

It’s here! The much anticipated second part to getting published. These articles will round out the information you already got in Part 1, but also give you more to consider when picking your publishing path. Ready or not, here are my top picks for the week:

#1: How to Secure a Traditional Book Deal By Self-Publishing

Jane Freidman brings up a lot of really good points about why, or why not, a writer should ever consider doing this. I warn you, going this route is not for the faint of heart. I’ll let Jane explain why.

#2: Friday Speak Out!: No More Query Letters

Why one woman decided—only after many years of writing—that the traditional publishing career path was no longer for her. The author also points out the stigma that has loomed over those who self-publish and how she dealt with it.

#3: It's Okay to Make Mistakes

“…one of the biggest obstacles writers face--no matter where you are in your writing or publishing career--is getting over the fear of making a mistake. It can paralyze you, no matter where you sit on the perfectionist spectrum.” -Margo L Dill. Need I say more?

#4: My Novel’s Heroine is Doing Better in the Publishing World Than I Did

The title pretty much says it all: Ellen Feldman’s recounting of her own career in publishing versus the character in her published novel. It’s quite humorous, but also very revealing about the questionable past of New York City publishing and the male-dominated world it once was.

#5: Morgan Entrekin on the Hope of a Post-COVID Publishing Landscape

It only felt right to end this two-week journey into publishing with this article about the future of it. Morgan Entrekin, publisher of Grove Atlantic and co-founder of lithub.com, recounts his own tale of suffering from COVID and how it has impacted his life and family. However, when it comes to the future of books, it may not be as bad as it seems. While face-to-face author interactions have been paused, negatively affecting libraries and brick and mortar bookstores, authors have become more accessible to their fans and audience due to the ease of online interactions. Entrekin however, is “getting sick of Zoom calls.”

And there you have it folks. I hope all of you are a bit wiser now about where you want your own personal writing career to go and why you are going there.

Happy week and happy publishing to you all.

Until next time,

Kara

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic