The Rec League: Eternal Soulmates

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/recleague.pngThis Rec League comes from Leigh. Thanks, Leigh!

I recently re-read an old (though a bit dated) favorite of mine, Finding Laura by Kay Hooper, and it reminded me how much I like the “eternal soul mates” trope: love that happens over and over again through time. It’s not time travel, just two souls who keep meeting, falling in love, living lives, then being reincarnated and fated to meet again, over and over. Another example is This Time For Keeps by Kathleen Kane (aka Maureen Child) or, movie-wise, Om Shanti Om and a little bit Dead Again. (Although a small nod to the idea also appears in Susanna Kearsley’s The Winter Sea, also a favorite). Do you have any other examples of this kind of romance? I’d love more books but I’d take movies, too!

Dreams of a Dark Warrior
A | BN | K | AB
Amanda: There’s a Kresley Cole, Dreams of a Dark Warrior. A Valkyrie’s berserker warrior lover is doomed to die every time he remembers his lady love.

Carrie: A Knight in Shining Armor by Judith Devereaux ( A | BN | K | G | AB )

Sarah: Definitely Kearsley… Nicola Cornick – The Phantom Tree sort of…which is more time slip than fated through time but it fits.

Heads up for terrible fatphobia in A Knight in Shining Armor.

Nicola Cornick’s books might also fit the Kearsley style desire but again, time slip isn’t quite the same as fated through time.

EllenM: I actually have a few for this!! First, there was a brief time when this trope was HUGE in YA romance so I have a couple recommendations along that line. The Archers of Avalon trilogy by Chelsea Fine ( A | BN | K | AB ) is a pretty fun indie YA romance trilogy that uses this trope although be forewarned it has a love triangle with brothers which I know some people haaaaaate.

The Melissa De La Cruz YA vampire romance series Blue Bloods ( A | BN | K | AB ) also has the fated lovers through reincarnation as a major element of the world-building, though not between the hero and heroine. I enjoyed the first few books in college–they have a very CW-esque supernatural soap-y feel–but I did not finish the series so I can’t give a verdict.

This is also an element of A Witch in Time by Constance Sayers. I really did not enjoy it (see my review) but I know other people have liked it and if this trope is big for you, you might fare better.

Archetype
A | BN | K | AB
I’m also pretty sure the book Anne Brashares wrote after Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants uses this trope but I’m not sure if it’s a romance as I haven’t read it. I think it’s called My Name Is Memory. ( A | BN | K | AB )

Another one I can think of that may be relevant is the Archetype sci-fi duology by MD Waters which while it is not directly the same trope it kind of plays with the same ideas of love after/through death in the same way.

Sarah: My gosh Ellen way to go !

Shana: Ellen to the rescue!

EllenM: I don’t think I actually like this trope very much but for some reason I have read many books with it.

Which books would you recommend? Let us know in the comments!

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days