The Best New Books to Check Out in Paperback This January

Trouble-is-What-I-Do.jpeg

As we enter the second year of the pandemic, we’re launching a new monthly column to bring awareness to the great titles you might have missed the first time around. These new-in-paperback titles are some of the most exciting mysteries and crime novels around—plus, they won’t break the bank!

Watching-from-the-Dark-195x300.jpeg

Gytha Lodge, Watching from the DarkRandom House Trade (1/5)

“Readers will enjoy the fast pace, red herrings, and intriguing characters in this British police procedural–slash-psychological thriller.”—Booklist

first-to-lie-201x300.jpg

Hank Phillippi Ryan, The First To LieForge (1/5)

“A taut, propulsive plot with twists that will take your breath away…book clubs will gobble up The First to Lie.” —Sarah Pekkanen

All-the-Best-Lies-197x300.jpg

Joanna Schaffhausen, All The Best LiesMinotaur (1/5)

“Chilling…tight plotting and a few genuinely shocking twists propel this emotionally charged thriller all the way to the explosive finale. Old and new readers alike will be enthralled.”—Publishers Weekly

The-Red-Lotus-195x300.jpeg

Chris Bohjalian, The Red LotusVintage (1/5)

“You’ll keep flipping pages, discover new complex characters, see the mysterious situation from different points of view—and you’ll be surprised at each well-plotted turn.” —Katie Yee, Literary Hub

Trouble-Is-What-I-Do-215x300.jpg

Walter Mosley, Trouble Is What I Do, Mulholland (1/12)

“Spieled in a powerful, streamlined voice, this wrenching American noir will stick with readers long after the final page.”—Booklist

A-Beautiful-Crime-1-198x300.jpg

Christopher Bollen, A Beautiful CrimeHarper Perennial (1/12)

“Deliciously diabolical…What makes the crime in Bollen’s stylish new novel so beautiful is that the perps’ plan works out even better than they’d hoped—at least for a while…A skilled purveyor of suspense…Bollen’s wit sparkles on almost every page.”—Washington Post

The-Coyotes-of-Carthage-199x300.jpg

Steven Wright, The Coyotes of CarthageEcco (1/12)

“With this splendid debut, Steven Wright announces his arrival as a major new voice in the world of political thrillers. I enjoyed it immensely.”—John Grisham

Tanen-Jones-The-Better-Liar-Ballantine-1

Tanen Jones, The Better LiarBallantine (1/12)

“Jones’ sensational debut has the bones of a thriller but reads like literary fiction: lean, shrewd, and gratifyingly real.”—Entertainment Weekly

Darling-Rose-Gold-200x300.jpeg

Stephanie Wrobel, Darling Rose GoldBerkley (1/19)

“[A] diabolically plotted debut…Propulsive pacing, a claustrophobic setting, and vividly sketched characters who are equal parts victim and villain conspire to create an anxious, unsettling narrative. Psychological suspense fans will be well satisfied.”—Publishers Weekly

Never-Ask-Me-197x300.jpg

Jeff Abbott, Never Ask MeGrand Central (1/19)

Those who enjoy unpredictable stories can never go wrong diving into the world of Jeff Abbott.”—The Washington Post

Strike-Me-Down-199x300.jpg

Mindy Mejia, Strike Me DownAtria/Emily Bestler Books (1/19)

“A twisty, unpredictable plot.”—Publishers Weekly (starred review)

The-Third-Rainbow-Girl-199x300.jpg

Emma Copley Eisenberg, The Third Rainbow Girl, Hachette Books (1/19)

“Evocative and elegantly paced…The Third Rainbow Girl is not just a masterly examination of a brutal unsolved crime, which leads us through many surprising twists and turns and a final revelation about who the real killer might be…It’s also an unflinching interrogation of what it means to be female in a society marred by misogyny, where women hitchhiking alone are harshly judged, even blamed for their own murders.”—The New York Times Book Review

hi-five-194x300.jpg

Joe Ide, Hi Five, Mulholland (1/26)

“Mystery and detection compete with a gorgeous swarm of supercharged personalities on their own wild rides.”—Kirkus

wife-stalker-199x300.jpg

Liv Constantine, The Wife Stalker, Harper (1/26)

“The Wife Stalker is skillfully constructed and fast-paced—a mischievously tense and engaging novel filled with plenty of twists and turns that keep readers spellbound and guessing until the very final page.”
— New York Journal of Books

The-Truants-199x300.jpeg

Kate Weinberg, The TruantsPutnam (1/26)

“[A] hypnotic debut. . . . An] uncommonly clever whodunit.”—New York Times Book Review

View the full article

Michael Neff
Algonkian Producer
New York Pitch Director
Author, Development Exec, Editor

We are the makers of novels, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"King of Pantsers"?

ALGONKIAN SUCCESS STORIES