Audrey Woods Book Reports

Writing the Breakout Novel:

1. Writing the Breakout Novel was my favorite craft book of this series. This book taught me a lot about what makes specific novels fall into the “breakout” category, such as how to create a good conflict, how to make theme memorable and relatable, and how to create larger-than-life characters. Overall, Maass gave very specific examples to allow me to not only learn but also see what makes breakout fiction and how to re-create those techniques in my own writing. It also helped me as a writer because it planted all these seeds about what I should be thinking about while I’m working, which was very helpful.

2. I think the biggest lesson this book taught me was about raising the stakes. Even though Maass covered a lot of information, it all boiled down to having a high-tension story that makes people care. Everything seemed to stem from having high, relatable, and emotional stakes. I liked the examples he gave of high-stake situations that weren’t necessarily of the world-ending, apocalyptic variety. It was interesting to see the way stakes could be personal, deep, and small and still have just as much power.

I also learned a lot about characters and what makes characters breakout. I think learning how important empathy for a character is was helpful, and seeing how even the darkest of protagonists can be made empathetic. I also loved how he talked about making antagonists empathetic as well.

3. Nothing specific comes to mind, although I think Maass was a bit more open to the exceptions to the rule. During the lessons and readings, I’ve seen very specific ways of doing things and I think this book supports those methods, but Maass also talks about how some breakout novels have broken those hard-and-fast rules and why they were successful. Which was extremely helpful to learn.

Write Away:

1. I really liked Elizabeth George’s diction and writing style, and I think I learned a lot from her by observing the way she constructs sentences and breaks them down. I also really enjoyed how she taught the reader to structure a novel, starting with character and setting and moving on from there. I think this book was very useful, but it also reinforced a lot of lessons I’ve learned from other craft books. Overall, a pleasant, if repetitive, read.

2. I learned from George that writing is not a one-size-fits-all act and that so much of being creative is individual. I liked the point that she made that while you can’t control your creativity, you can control your work ethic. I also think I can learn from her lessons about patience, something I struggle with. I have a hard time maintaining focus on a single project, and always feel eager to move on to the next shiny idea. However, George’s calm and rhythmic way of training the author to slow down and turn over every stone really made me think about my process and how I can improve.

3. I don’t think anything conflicted, although there was a LOT of things that had already been covered by the first craft book I read (The Breakout Novel) and Michael’s modules. The only thing I can think of is that she doesn’t focus as much on the marketability/salability of the novel as much, which I suppose could be conflicting.

The Writing Life

1. I think that this book helped me as a writer because of its power of validation. Reading this felt like talking to a dear friend about a shared experience. Dillard understands the painful and sometimes excruciatingly lonely path of being a writer and it felt so nice to have spelled out in front of me all the things I’ve felt in the hours spent in front of my computer.

2. Dillard was harsh but truthful in her depiction of what it takes to truly be a writer. She taught me that it will take everything I have and more to create stories that people want to read. She also taught me, contrarily to Elizabeth George, to move on. Don’t coddle my work. Don’t hoard and stash away ideas for a later time. She taught me to keep moving, keep momentum flowing, and trust that more will come.

3. This book doesn’t conflict directly, but instead provides a touchstone for writers to feel less lonely in their journey to publication. Dillard provides for Author Salon participants what I think a lot of writing courses lack, and that’s the comforting knowledge that someone else has been there before.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic